Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
waddy

Net send question

We can use net send to send notes on the local network ...

Can i use net send to note Computers outside the LAN via IP address, i have tried but it doesnt wiork , i think i have the syntax wrong...

asny help please

Are you asking if you can use Net Send to communicate to PCs outside of your LAN (or subnet)? If so, then yes it can. What can happen is that there may be some sort of port filtering/forwarding mechanism (such as a firewall or NAT/PAT device) at the receiving end, and the communication isn't making it to the intended recipient. Although I can't find any documentation on this, I used Sniffer Pro to check on what port(s) it uses, and it seems to rely on the NetBIOS port (139) for transmission and initial sync. Now, a reply port can seem to vary (one session was 1152, another session was 2204--similar in behavior to FTP) but you would still need 139 forwarded to the workstaion in question if the target PC is behind a firewall/NAT device.

Thanks Clutch..... very helpful...

could you tell me the syntax for the command to send a note to the outside world...

net send IP address Note ?? does that sound right

Must have missed this one earlier, but here is what you get for options:

NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

Now, you can actually use the IP in place of the name. So, it could be:

NET SEND 192.168.1.10 Test

Have fun.

Why is that you don't need the messenger service enabled to send, only to receive?