Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[H]ard-Turtle

Linksys Wireless Network

Just wanted to mention that Linksys 802.11b (Wi-Fi) network cards work fine with no issues in XP Professional 2600. Either PCMCIA card or w/ PCI adapter. Driver causes standard warning that it hasn't been tested. No issues.

I completely agree with you on Tesla...what a mind.

I use a linksys Wireless Gateway/Router in the kitchen attached to the DSL modem. (1) computer in my Son's room, (2) in the office, (1) in my bedroom, and last but not least a laptop wherever I walk around. I have gone through several movements and gyrations as I couldn't afford all the wireless cards all at once...approx. $150 for the PCMCIA and PCI adapter set. So I've just done one a month and now everything is wireless. There is a 4 port switch on the Gateway...Really a flexible unit. Range could be better and an occasional loss of connectivity...but it doesn't require user interfernce..just comes back online in a few seconds.

Hey...1-5MB/sec???? That would be fine for gaming considering my ADSL is only 784/128. But...you'll love this....try 11Mbps? I ran SiSoft Sandra's Network benchmark and it pegged out at 10.9Mbps...so I'd say it's working correctly! The setup is based on WiFi or 802.11b whichever you prefer to call it. Again...the only downside in my house is Range...I HAD to centralize the access point. I couldn't get through all the darn walls. I actually tried placing one computer in the garage...no luck...about 30 feet short. NEED MORE POWER!!!

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer so a lot of what you said was Greek to me..I'm a hardware nut only at this point in time. But, I did get the UPC reader part...I've got a friend that just converted his warehouse to a setup using wireless readers.

Oops, I forgot to tell you about gaming...yes, I play CS..no problem whatsoever. I've had 3 players at the same time...all wireless...not an issue.

Water cooling w/ Pelt is my next project now that the network and XP all play well. I've got an AOpen full tower case begging for all the watercooling hardware to go into. 12"X5" radiator w/ (4) 80mm fans...resevoir...dual power supplies...100+Watt pelt..etc.

Takes dough though...so one piece at a time..hehe

I'm an AMD fan how about you?