Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

fan acts funny

ok i have one 120mm fan hooked up and it starts running normal then dies down then go to normal and it does this over and over

Hooked up to motherboard header? If so, temperature controlled?

Ed

You know the most humorous thing about computers is that a majority of the time there is a hardware problem it can be attributed to fans - the simplest working part of a computer. Who would have thought that we could come so far, put millions of transistors on a square inch, and everything comes crashing down without the almighty fan.

well, my 2c...

Have you tried another fan ? Sounds like a bad electrical connection somewhere. If its hooked up to a molex connector it should just run. I wouldn't start buy buying a new PSU to see if the fan is OK but the other way around.

you gotta think, if you got a hard drive, cdrom, floppy, mobo, AMD cpu, cpu fan, geforce2mx card and other things running off of it, it's gonna drain a 250w-350w PSU kinda quick, the reason it seems like it slows down is because of hard disk/cdrom activity pulling power from the PSU and taking it away from the fan, i had this problem when i only had one 300w PSU, after i added a second 250w one it stopped.

Does its spinning up and down coincide with the activity of the machine, such as a power drain, or is it making a rubbing sound like a bad bearing?