Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

w2k or 98

Well if you are a tech-savvy gamer Id definetly use 2000. If you are uninterested in such things and wish to remain ignorant then go for 98. If you are actually deciding for a next comp, wait for XP, it will likely please you greatly.

You will probably get slightly lower frame rate in 2k but the stability is well worth it, unless you play transport tycoon, then use 98 smile

win2k all the way!

It's way more stable and runs runs most games (the only one that I haven't gotten to works is NFS4... which is not surprising as it is an EA game).

XP would be fine...

...if it weren't for those damn M$ tactics which require you register for life-long spam. I'm all for anti-piracy, but I ain't touchin' XP until M$ removes that registering BS.

As long as the drivers for your hardware are written well, you shouldn't have that much of a slow down. It's been long enough that Win2k drivers should perform just as well as in 98.

MS hyped up XP too much. Almost all the *improvements* in XP are stuff I won't be using and much of it isn't optional. XP does not offer enough for me to shell out the $200-300 for both of my machines.

XP is good to a certain extent though.

However, XP seems like MS is making many optional components mandatory--unless you go back and make them optional. One size does not fit all, and that is a bother to me.

While I don't encourage piracy, or disagree with means to enforce it, the Product Activation is forcing XP users to keep MS informed about their configuration if so much hardware is changed. Of course this is by far just one of the irritating things that MS has done in an OS.

You can get cheaper eye candy for Win2k and just get WindowBlinds or other OS skinner for much less than XP.

Yes, XP is just 2000 with a face lift, but it should help us 2k users. Some companies *hack,cough,cough* Creative *cough* have been making crappy WDM drivers because the NT kernal is "a business O/S" XP will make the NT kernal mainstream.

Win95 should have been true 32-bit instead of a jumbled amalgomation of 16 and 32bit code. The 9x series got less and less compatible with DOS (and less stable) with each successive version.

I dual WinME and Win2k, although I boot WinME about once a week.

TO SLAPSTER: I got High Stakes to finally work under Win2k [it took me the longest freaking time], just don't have SP2 installed or any compatibility updates installed and follow the instructions here at NT Compatible, works faster then 9x. After that you may be able to apply the compatibility updates and use SP2.