Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

Mcafee.com virus scanner is hopeless

i was just reading through my mail when i came to a person that i didn't even know that had sent my an attachment. he told me he needed help with a file and so i needed to download it to have a look.

this message was in my Hotmail account and i thought it would be safe to download it since Hotmail uses Mcafee to scan all files b4 it lets the user download it.

Mcafee told me that it was virus free and was safe to download it. But guess what? After downloading it, NAV 2001 told me it was a worm.

I don't know, but the file's extension was *.zip.ink , maybe that was the reason Mcafee couldn't pick it up.

Or maybe that it's just HOPELESS.

i think its just because the extension.

btw, you shouldn't open file which it is from unknow person.

I am not familiar with the online variants of these scanners. I have heard of ISPs used virus scanners to check emails coming and going, and yet still miss the vast majority of worms and viruses coming through. As for McAfee, I have never had any problems when using the installed versions since v2.x.

Some times Norton and McAfee release virus updates at different times, one before the other so one antivirus would know about the virus and the other would not.

Also the Service (Hotmail in this instance) would have to have an updated scan engine. What good is an antivitus if you only update it every 3 month smile

Clutch, your forgetting about the "right-click delay" in IE the two of us where whining about 6 months ago wink (if I remember correct that is :D)

/Toby

Oh yeah, that was lame. I have been using 4.5.1 for a while now, and forgot all about that. Get with the times bud!!!

wink

Do you have the Active Virus Defense suite? If so, check out the current version of E-Policy Orchestrator (you have to download it, don't use the version on the CD; the version available for download is 2.0) as it works really well. Of course, I still rely heavily on SMS 2.0 to do some of the dirty work (old habits die hard) but for a unified virus management interface, it works really well.

Thanks for the tip, we're using a kix loginscript to check the dat-versions in the registry - compare them to files on the server and force an upgrade with the susa-module(for admin rights) if the client files are older.

I think this method sucks bigtime because alot of users never log out/in leaving the workstations with old dats. mad

I keep the servers updated though smile

Can't wait until our AD structure are done and all workstations got win2k, pushing out the updates with GP's will be sooooo great laugh

Cheers !

/Toby

[edit] We don't use SMS anymore, so I have to wait awhile...[/edit]