Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mj2001

Virus protecting a 2000 network

Im currently building a small home domain based network and would like to virus protect it. Im yet to find a virus program that is compatible on 2000 Server, and wondered if anyone knows of any and also the method they use to VP thier network. For the record, Ive tries Nortons 2001 and 2002 and Mcafee. Thanks.

Thanks for that Ill check it out. Does anyone know how I can virus protect my 2000 server? I havent used XP on my network so far, and my main issue is ensuring my server is protected. Thanks!

As well as the bog-standard version of NAV, Norton also do a corporate version. This includes scheduled AV updates, updates of client AV files, live scanning etc. McAfee also do a similar corporate version of their AV products. I also use Command Software's F-PROT software, which also comes in various corporate editions.

The only problem with these apps is that they cost much more than the consumer versions, and you're also liable to pay a license fee per client or server machine. For example, Symantec charges around $25 per license, with a minimum of 10 licenses.

Unfortunately, to get anything to run on Win2k server you'll probably have to buy the corporate editions of the software - which means major costs! However, in light of the recent spate of viruses which seem to target servers more than client machines, I think protecting the server is paramount, especially if that server is acting as an Internet proxy.

Hope this helps,

AndyF

PS - Update - I've just checked the Command website, and they do free 30-day trials of their AV software, including the server versions - check it out here

A collegue of mine had problem with f-prot.

It keeps crying wolf when there is none. If i remember correctly his words were:

"most ridiculous heroistic algorithm i have ever seen in my life."

I usae to use it in good old Dos 5.0-6.0 days. It was nice dunno about the new ones myself.

Hmmm...never had any problems myself - although after a bit of digging, I notice that there are 2 versions of f-prot out there: one from Command Software (which I use, and works fine) and one from Frisk Software (which I don't use and can't comment on).

I have no idea whether the 2 versions are the same, or whether development was forked at some point in the past...

AndyF

Two versions, two companies...

I have no idea which one he was refferring to. i did not even know there were two.

Whatever, I can't comment on either myself. i don't use them.

But i will give it a try upon your recommendation. Since Customers' foot the bill I don't care smile