Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KAC

Nero Killed my CD drives

Earlier today I updated my Nero installation to version 5.5.5.1, after the required reboot windows explorer no longer shows any of my CD drives (a ReWriter and a DVD). In the device manager XP is telling me this for both drives:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I don't have any system restore points because I turned it off and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the devices but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help?

I'm using XP pro build 2600

Have you tried taking the drives out and then puting them back in? XP might recognize them as new and reinstall them. Just a thought.

Reinstall...it happened to me too after I installed WinOnCD 3.8 and it kept giving me errors about a faulty driver at startup. Of course I decided to delete it, and after that none of my drives were showing.

Same thing happened to my machine; (Code 19) on both my CD devices. At first I attributed it to windows being windows, look at it wrong and it crashes. But when doing a forumn search, I stumbled on this thread; and it describes my problem exactly. There has got to be an explanation, my Secondary IDE Channel shows 'Multi-word DMA Mode 2' like it should. I don't relish the idea of having to wipe everything and reinstall just to get my cd drives back. As much as I want to blame MS, I think Nero is the culprit.

It happened to me too.Upon a second reboot all was fine.

You could also try reinstaliing the DMA drivers.

How exactly to you reinstall DMA driver? I've tried to no avail uninstalling both cd devices from the tree; even went as far removing both ide channels from the device tree. Sure, windows re-detected them, but the same problem was there afterward. Nero somehow screwed the registry, if only I knew which keys.

Hey WALL. Did you ever find a solution. I just my friend is experiencing this. Please let me know about your solution.

Been there, done that.. it was mentioned on here sometime ago that Nero adds some key that makes your drives conflict with.. urgh.. I've totally forgotton!! It is on this board somewhere though I promise you. I think I fixed it by uninstalling Nero and going back to an older version.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help atm.. I'm kinda busy.

--Cynan.