Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bpn

Couldn´t install Win XP

Hi,

Just Spent 18 hours trying to upgrade from XP RC2 to the final version.

I tried to look on several messageboards for some help on my problem, but I couldn´t find that either, so I thought I would post something about it here...

The problem was that when the installation has finished the first part, & then rebooting, it just stopped at the startup screeen (with the blue bars running)..The HD light was on for 3 seconds & then off for 3 seconds (the HD did not have any errors) for a few hours without anything happening

I tried every Raid driver from 1.03, to the newest v. 2 driver..tried to update the bios, took out everything from my pc, turned of USB, etc, etc, etc....and nothing helped.

Then I found out I could install XP on my second HD, so it could only be becuase that I use FAT32 on my second HD, and NTFS is running on my first HD.

So I converted from NTFS to FAT32 with Partition Magic 7 & then I had no problem installing XP on my HD smile

Just wanted to tell you guys that, becuase I have read that alot of ppl. has problems installing XP, and hope this will help.

My specs:

Abit kt7 raid

2*30GB IBM 75GXP in raid 0

900 Mhz TB

SB Live

Asus Gefore 2 GTS

Bpn

Hi,

not sure if this is any help but i had a similar experience installing. I've been told that it was because I had a GF2 grpahics card in my machine which was f**king with the XP startup installation

If you have a spare 'non-gf2' graphics card try installing XP with that one in, then put the GF2 back in once installed.

Any old card will do, I used a Matrox G400 Millenium and it worked straight away.

Then I put the GF2 back in and installed the XP Detonator drivers

Its now running great

Hope this info works

Kazon;)

Actually, microsoft announced some time back that you would not be able to upgrade from RC to XP final. That might have changed, but it was an announcement at one point.