Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Win2K DNS Article

Hey clutch, Have you ever tried to use a Primary/Secondary External DNS on a NT4 Domain? Been meaning to set one up for awhile now and have dabbled a bit for the past year but just yesterday I set up a 2k Remote access Server that required DNS. So I set it up as a Secondary DNS server and it downloaded the zones straight away. Now I'm wondering if I can set up 2k for my Primary external DNS too. Don't see why not. Just wondering if anyone else has done the same.

HAH! Been helping out a sister company's IT crew get URLScan working, and then had to move to my new ultra-mega cubicle to hold all my crap. smile Now, where were we...

I have not tried to setup "external" (as in hosting all of your domain/sub-domain IPs for outside requests?) DNS boxes, as I have not really had the need to. I have thought about trying it, but I am still a fan of keeping all of my servers behind my firewall and not allowing external query traffic to come inside. I do, however, love the DNS abilities of Win2K, and I feel that it has come a long way in stability with SP1 and SP2. NT4's DNS actually worked really well with WINS to form a low-tech "dynamic DNS" system (I still use it on my legacy NT domain at work, but that will vanish during the Christmas holiday), and was more stable than Win2K SP0's DNS implementation was. I had several issues with servers complaining about not syncing between each other, and DDNS updates just not working at all.

What were you looking to do exactly? I setup DNS servers for my LAN, and just do the standard name mappings (mail, www, ftp, etc) and use forwarders for everything else.