Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Added 2nd NIC, now 1st NIC gone!?

Hello.

I was using a 3COM905B in my Win2K machine without problems. I added a 2nd NIC (3COM900B) & started my machine. Now I only see the newer NIC (as Local Area Connection 2) & my original NIC (formerly Local Area Connection 1) is gone (not showing in network properties).

What happened?

Damn, I feel real silly. I totally forgot I have a non-ACPI machine (changed it to Standard PC a long time ago). Problem solved smile

In Win2K, you can change back and forth between ACPI support modes within the current installation. However, the success rate (from personal experience) has been really low. Actually, when I say "low", I really mean "zero". I would imagine that the problem centered around both NICs trying to use the same resources. Is this what happened?

Quote:

In Win2K, you can change back and forth between ACPI support modes within the current installation. However, the success rate (from personal experience) has been really low. Actually, when I say "low", I really mean "zero". I would imagine that the problem centered around both NICs trying to use the same resources. Is this what happened?

Well, usually I install as Standard PC & most (sometimes all depending on #) of my adapters get their very own IRQ. Sometimes I notice an IRQ may get shared by 2 adapters, but this doesn't happen too often.

On this occasion, I reverted back to Standard PC from ACPI. Please keep in mind I had done this months ago & my machine has been rock stable. I forgot on rare occasion Windows tends to "lose" adapters upon initial installation when in non-ACPI mode (well, this happens on my setup(s) anyway). I have reverted from ACPI to Standard PC many times in the past & have never had any stability issues with either of my two current systems (ABIT BF6 & SUPERMICRO P6DGE). Admittedly, I have not tried going the Standard PC to ACPI route.

Call it a "brain fart", but I gave the second 3COM the same settings as the first NIC. Even so, I was perplexed as to why it was not visible in Device Manager or in the Network Properties. Regardless, I tried hitting "Scan for hardware changes", & my first NIC showed up. It was displayed as "Device not configured properly" (NOT IRQ error related). I gave it the proper LAN settings (192.168.0.1) instead of the ISP settings & all was well.