Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

WinXP Pro or Home edition? Which is better? And for what thi

PRO is better. Home is just PRO with the networking/security/smp and a couple dozen other things removed. There's a list on the MS website of the differences. Basically get Home if you don't know a thing about computers and don't plan on doing anything with them and if you don't plan on fixing problems with it....eh...so why are people buying it then? Why for the reasons I listed above of course. wink

Or maybe because it's also cheaper??? Home users don't usually need SMP, and you can get all the Pro features (security) using a 3rd party freeware usually smile

If it comes down to my pocket, I'll go for the Home Ed...or even better, the Pro OEM wink

i have been testing out my 'COPY' of winXP PRO since in these days i REFUSE to buy before testing...... i am serious about that too!

i have run WINXPpro through my own ringers,

i have not tried out winXPhome (seen it in action in the shop)

and have come to this conculsion.......

as stated above: 'Basically get Home if you don't know a thing about computers and don't plan on doing anything with them and if you don't plan on fixing '

answere: then stick with win98se

that is my primary pc's o.s. since it is flawless...

i have win2kpro+sp2 and it is way more stable than my winxppro

i have found that RIGHT NOW i refuse to beta test for a new operating system, all the 3rd party software, and REFUSE to pay creative labs for my usless SOUNDBLASTER LIVE! X-GAMER with NO working software since i cant seem to download any for my retail boxed x-gamer at creative labs site, now reading, i have to PAY for liveware3 XP

hmmmmmm.....

my v3 which works flawlessly in win2k and 98se is rendered USELESS in winXP (no matter which drivres i use there is always problems or some sort)

the USER interface of XP is cool, i actually like this O.S. but having to drop money on it right now is not what i have in mind, maybe after XPPRO-SE lol comes out, maybe, but for me to drop 500$ big canadian bucks on a retail xpPRO is not fun, cause i will haveto go and buy a new sound card and (in my case) a new video card to run XP with reliabiity,

is it worth it right now BUYING the latest and greatest MICROSFOT product........... NO IT IS NOT.

we are pretty much forced to buy MICROSOFT

but we are not forced to buy creative labs, (i hope someone at creative labs reads this)

winxp pro: a good o.s. but as with all things related to the pc industry these days, don't buy right when it is releases, you are a beta tester if you do..... i myself don't want that, but that is just me.......

Even if Creative Labs did you read your post, the most they might glean from it is:

"I have old hardware and I stole my OS, but dammit I DEMAND support!"

That's not going to carry a lot of weight, bud. Also, you are not "forced" to buy anything. You can still use Win2K (Win9x, DOS, NT, whatever) and wait until something better comes along. Hell, get Linux or a Mac, but don't use that lamea$$ excuse to write off stealing the OS. So, now that you have proclaimed WinXP sucks, you have promply removed it and replaced it with a properly licensed OS, right?

i bought all my o.s.'s

however i learned my lesson with WIN2K (remember how well that went over with it's first few weeks/months out) after now having a good stable win2k pc, guess what rolls out the door a year later, with a whole new rigormorole,

i am not trying to diss the o.s., opposite, usually i have noted alot of good points about it previously, and my main gripe is with creative,

winxp will go through growing pains, and after i dished out 500+ for my win2kpro (last year, and that wasn't including 500 for a legal cd of office2k pro) i dont think i want to hold microsoft's hands on this growing pain, that is also why i mentioned that these where just my point of views....

(full version of officeXPpro is 800$ where i am, fyi)

i rather like winxp, ALOT, but is it enough to switch my PAID for win98 or win2k, nope,

and YES, i bought a retail boxed sblivexgamer, and was NOT expecting to pay for it's software on a o.s. 1yr later, when you NEVER have with creative software previously, only NOW has creative thought to turn a buck here in this area! HECK if ROXIO /ELABORATE BYTES/ NERO/ NORTON can, why not US! i payed for EAX presets in windows, that is now a purchase i will need since without liveware3 THE LIVE'S are just SOUNDBLASTER 16'S....... expensive ones,

i want to buy winXP and remove my 'copy'!! and like i mentioned, OR HAVE THE BALLS TOO, not like half you here have had the illegal version at one point or another..... am testing ALL my games and hardware before I<----- let 500 of MY hard earned $$ go to BILLY'S upgrades to his house on the seaside!

so far my APPS are ok, for the most part, but it is my hardware like soundcard/video card which won't run right *with their intended designs* with the operating system frown

"and after i dished out 500+ for my win2kpro"

Ah, so you went for the gold plated, diamond encrusted version did you?

What are you on about, the upgrade to Win2k was £90 here in the UK, can't think off the currency you must be using to have paid '500' for it.

You use it, you pay for it, don't know why you paid '500 whatevers' fir it, but good to hear.

"full version of officeXPpro is 800$"

Well, first question that would have to be asked is why are you buying the full version (or considering it)?

You've already said you bought Office2k, so again, the upgrade?

Next nobody is forcing you to upgrade to OfficeXP, I purchased Office 2000 Premium and I certainly wont be upgrading to OfficeXP - doesn't offer enough new features for me.

So it's expensive for you - that gives you the right to steal it?

"not like half you here have had the illegal version at one point or another"

Can't answer that for everyone on this board, I'm sure there is a high percentage of thieves here.

However, from a personal point, every single piece of software on my home PC is 100% legal.

That includes Office 2000 (Full version Office 4, Upgrade to Office 95, Upgrade to Office 97, Upgrade to Office 2000) and WindowsXP Professional (WindowsNT 4 OEM with hardware purchase, Upgrade to Windows 2000, Upgrade to WindowsXP).

I was a beta tester for WinXP, so I used legal beta's and finaly the 120day trial before purchasing the full retail.

As somebody who doesn't steal software, people who attempt to justify the theft make me sick - you've a thief, nothing more, nothing less.

"am testing ALL my games and hardware before I<----- let 500 of MY hard earned $$ go to BILLY'S upgrades to his house on the seaside"

Then what you do is phone up MS and say "I'd like the 120day evaluation copt of WinXP please" they take your details and send said item to you, still no justification for theft.

"but it is my hardware like soundcard/video card which won't run right *with their intended designs* with the operating system"

Shout at Creative Labs, they had access to beta version of WinXP since before we did.

CL fault, still doesn't justify theft.

I have an idea, and I think it would work out for both the software houses and the customers. (Im thinking exclusively M$ here): why the hell are we supposed to PAY to betatest an OS???? Why aren't the goddamn Beta builds free for download on the Internet. They can build a timebomb in them, I really don't mind that...they ARE intended for testing purposes after all.

When the final Build comes out, it will be much more patched up and out of bugs than in the current states, just because there were more betatesters involved. Hell, if M$ only looks on this board they will get a better overview of their OS...

However, I don't think they are really interested in reading bug reports coming from bogus betatesters, i.e war3z 0wn3r5 smile Just look how bugs are killed in the Open Source world, someone finds it, posts it on some newsgroup, hell he/she can get in touch with the developer himself to solve the problem.

And then, MAYBE, the Microsoft OSes are worth the money that M$ is asking for...

I figure 1 maybe 2 service packs & we are looking at THE finest work in the way of Os' Ms has pushed out so far if you ask me, it's not too shabby so far as is especially after the latest Windows Update from MS for XP!

Bingo! APK

just like win2k was apon first release, sp1 was pratcticlly out the door in the oem cd's!

Yup, APK, it is me....

lol havn't gone and done any wintune97 tests yet since our last round! wink

and now you know it IS me, you also know that i could carealess about what others say about me, i do MY work to help others out,

APK,

after running my LIVE! without liveware and comparing it to my other pc with a sb16 (ensoniq) pci, they are so bloddy close it isn't funny! the liveware is what really set the card apart from the sb16 or sb128! without the software it IS just a sb16 for the most part...

i am looking at replacing with a HERCULES FORTISSIMOII that looks like a good replacement untill the smoke settles with creatives' crapola... btw, when M.S. released xp so did hercules (released xp drivrs/softwre upgrade)

i am partially thinking that it was my v3 drivers i used for XP, that started to give BOSOD more and more,

i keep getting WIN32K.SYS PAGEFAULTS and it appers to be more and more as time goes on and after i did the switch to G.O.D. v3 drviers

(if drivers where done right, the v3 would be a decent card in winxp)

alot of the games i have been testing on such as Q3/OPENGL UT/GLIDE REDFACTION/D3D are all kindof ok with that o.s.

i am beating a dead horese however, since there WILL BE NO more 3dfx drivers, imo, for that o.s. and it is almost mute for me to continue any further running xp with a v3! the 2d was awesome with it though, and the kid's 2d games run well, had to windown down to 640x480 res to have full screene on some of the games, as even win compatibility didn't fix it......

i like the o.s. and think that after a sp or 2 this will finally drive the last nail into the win98se coffin!!! and finally put that o.s. out for good!

I didn't have any issues with Win2K Pro when it first came out, but I did have a few issues with Win2K Server/Adv Server. Most were straightened out by SP1, and the rest were fixed with SP2.