Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyChangs

Win2k error in WinMgmt.exe

Hi

I've got a MSI K7T Pro2-RU motherboard and whenever I try to bump up the FSB by more that 3Mhz, Windows 2000 starts up, everything seems fine, and I get a Dr.Watson error telling me that WinMgmt.exe cannot be run and I need to reboot. I restart, turn down the clock settings back to normal, reboot, and the error still pops back up. I tried restoring the file from the Windows 2000 CD, which did not work. I also tried running SP2, which would hang while installing (both the network install and the express install). The only thing that did work was to run a full repair off of the Windows 2000 install CD.

The strange thing is, that after the repair everything seemed to be fine, except IE6 and Outlook Express. I re-ran Service Pack 2, and rebooted. I had some issues with Internet Explorer, but I fixed those. A few days later, I figured I would try to overclock my video card a bit. Its a brand new Visiontek 6964 (ti-500). I changed the clock settings a bit in the display properties (not a lot, like 10mhz for both core and memory). I then tried to run a game, and it kicked me back to the desktop and the Dr.Watson message came back up again about Winmgmt.exe. I switched the video setting back to default, rebooted and get the same damn message again! Argh.

I know that Winmgmt.exe controls something called "Windows Management Instrumentation", from checking in the Services. I try to start the service manually and it fails.

Anyone who might have a clue as to what the hell is going on, please let me know.

Thanks