Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

Remote Desktop and ZoneAlarm Pro

Hi guys, I am having a problem trying to connect my computer through Remote Desktop because of ZoneAlarm Pro. I know it is ZoneAlarm Pro because I can connect fine with ZoneAlarm Pro off. When I have it on, I don't see log-in screen where it ask you for Username and Password. I only see blank white screen and a message box saying Server timed out or something like that. I searched Windows XP about ZoneAlarm Pro and Firewall and someone suggested putting mstsc.exe file in the Program settings list and I did that. I gave that file "Allow Server" and "Allow Connect" for both Local and Internet and I still have that log-in problem with Remote Desktop. Is there something else I should do?

If you are familiar with opening ports on your firewall, then you will want to open 3389 for Terminal Server/Remote Desktop to work. That should do it (but if I am missing something, somebody point it out). This is what I have to do for Win2K servers running TS, and this what Atreyu and I did for me to connect to his WinXP box across the 'net.

Hmm...I gave mstsc.exe all the permissions in Zone Alarm and it is still not working. The same problem. But there is a way for me to add port to Zone Alarm. Is the 3389 UDP or TCP?

TCP if I remember correctly. The last few times I set it up was on a router that didn't differentiate between the two.