Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lsmeg

Fresh install with an XP upgrade?

One thing I've been wondering, if I buy one of the XP upgrades, can I do a fresh install, or do I have to have 98/2k installed already and do an "upgrade?" If I remember correctly (and I might not :)) the Win95 upgrade disc could not be used to do a fresh install, only an upgrade from 3.1. So could anyone clear this up for me?

All MS Windows upgrade CD's (With the exception of the Win98 - Win98SE one) can be used to do a fresh install.

During installation you will be prompted for the CD of the previous OS you are upgrading from.

Note - Recovery CD's supplied with 'big brand' PC's aren't accepted by this upgrade check.

My Win98 upgrade CD would do fresh installs for me as well. One time, I had my Win95 CD somewhere far, far away (like 20ft or so ;)), but my old Win95 floppies were closer. So, I proceeded to use those instead. Well, after it asked for the 8th disk to be inserted (it asks for them in random order as well), I got off my lazy a$$ and got the CD, then rebooted the PC. It came back asking for my OS to upgrade from, so I threw in the CD so it would stop b1tching...

smile