Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hykster

Max Payne Problems for XP

Alright, I hear that some people can get Max Payne to run just fine on Windows XP, but I hear ALOT of people say that the game errors out saying there's not enough suffient video memory on their video card.. even if it's set to low specfications.

I have a Voodoo3 3000 with the lastest XP drivers (custom ones) and all of my games work just perfectly as they did with Win98/Me except for Max Payne.

Anyone want to shed the light on why Max Payne is erroring out after the intro movie?

HYkster

I know 3dfx is no more... but people on this forum HAVE made Max Payne work for XP with their 3dfx cards, but they didn't say how, nor will they contact me back.. but thanks for the sarcastic remark.. it was quite hilarious.

I have the solution...

You need configure max payne before run...

I dont remenber what configuration is best so you disable fog and test again..:D

Good luck to you...

And very fun...

3DMaker cool

I do have those drivers and they work with XP along with all my other games.. except for Max Payne. Even if I turn all the details down to low or off.. still same thing. Thanks for trying.

OK, another try.

I suppose you've already checked Remedy site.

<quote>

3dfx graphics cards

Voodoo3: If you get a "Insufficient Video Memory" error, make

sure you have Double Buffering selected from the Options menu.

Triple Buffering may not work.Graphic novels will look blurred

as Voodoo3 supports only 256x256 resolution textures.

Then, how about BIOS setting? Did you set AGP Aperture Size properly?

Or if you're using VIA based M/B, upgrading VIA 4in1 driver might help.

I hope you could find a clue.

Quote:
3dfx graphics cards
Voodoo3: If you get a "Insufficient Video Memory" error, make
sure you have Double Buffering selected from the Options menu.
Triple Buffering may not work.Graphic novels will look blurred
as Voodoo3 supports only 256x256 resolution textures.

In addition to trying the above, you may want to try the following (yes I know they sound obvious but make sure you go through them).

-Try to lower down your texture. I Don't know anything about the Vodoo 3 card myself, does it support 32 bit textures? if it does try the game with only 16
-Try to lower down your resolution. Depending on how many free system resources you have and how fast of a processor you have, you may have better success with lower resolutions. In most cases a reasonable resolution to try is 800x600. If yet THAT doesn't work, drop down to 640x480 and so on...
-The usual obvious rule: shut down all other running processes/applications/etc.. Of coarse, this is to make as much processing power and memory available to the game (Max Payne seems to impose a hefty load on system resources, even on an Athlon 1.4GHZ).

If all else fails, you may want to try windows 2000 just to see if it will work with it. If it DOES, then you can try running the game in Windows 2000 emulation mode ;-)

There's a myriad of things you can try. That's just the kind of stuff I can think of. I hope this helps.