Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Baldur's Gate II & 3D Acceleration

Went out and purchased Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal today, so I thought I would get the game re-installed.

All installed, go through the configuration program with the default settings, all is fine, the test screen gives me the 3 coloured boxes showing all is well.

Unlock the higher resolutions, set it to 1024x768 (I know I could go higher but I find this resolution is nice for games) and things are still fine.

Check the 'Use 3D Acceleration' button and then it all goes wrong.

The test screen shows a black screen with a white border down the left-hand side and top.

The only driver available in the drop down list is 'Default OpenGL'.

As soon as I uncheck the 'Use 3D Acceleration' then the test runs fine.

It isn't just the test, if I ignore the fact this doesn't work and start the game anyway I just get a black screen with scrolling lines accros the screen.

Anybody else had similar problems or is it working fine for you?

Specs of PC listed in the signature below, using latest DetonatorXP drivers, but still get the same problem if I use the 12.41 Win2k ones.

I don't know what to think here.... it always worked fine for me. However, I didn't really like the OpenGL mode. It looked good, and the frame rate was fine, but there was a slight delay with some things, like moving items around in the inventory. It would take a second to change the cursor to the picture of the item. I manipulate the inventory a lot, so this got annoying enough for me not to use OpenGL. It's not just BG2 either.... the OpenGL mode of Icewind Dale did the same thing. It might be that my video card only has 32mb of memory though.

Anyways, to fix your problem, start with the basics. Try putting it all the way down to 640x480x16bit. If that works, then slowly crank up the resolution/color depth to see if you can find where the problem is.

It's all a little bit weird now, weird to the level of me wanting to open up the case and make sure the 'PC Imps' haven't stolen my video card and replaced it with something else smile

When you select 'Use 3D acceleration' you can only set 32bit colour.

Even at 640x480 the test screen fails to give the 3 coloured boxes.

There is a checkbox to remove a setting (recommended for 3DFX users) tried both with that enabled and disabled, still the same result.

Basically, if I try to use 3D Acceleration the game simply fails to run for me, no matter how low the settings I've set are.

Not a major problem in itself, even in the standard modes it looks great and as you say will probably react slightly faster anyway, but it's got me all worried now, maybe something wrong with my card, but then again nothing else is having problems - Grrrrr.

just one more thing I can think of.... did you install the latest update for the game?

Hi !

Ok if you want to run in open gl , in windows 2k or xp , i know for sure that you need to edit your .cfg file and you need to add something for your monitor refresh rate there.

I don't have bg2 installed , but look in one of the text in your baldur gate 2 directory , and look for the line to add in the cfg related to refresh rate.

Hope this help.

I had the same problem, the latest update cured it.