Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ahearnb

Windows XP won't shut down!

Hi,

I know I've heard this problem from somewhere, but I can't find it here....

I click shut down, and it says "saving settings..." and shutting down or whatever....and it even makes the sound that it usually does when shutting down. But something happens and the PC doesn't actually shut off. It just stays frozen at the shutdown screen and I have to turn off my power strip to shut the machine off.

If someone knows the fix for this, please help me out.

Thanks!

Brad

reformat reinstall

the second greatest windows cure

(the first greatest being simply restart, but i don't think that is gonna solve your problem)

if you don't wanna reinstall there are some things you can do

can you remeber if you installed any hardware/software/drivers just b4 this happened for the first time, if so that program/hardware/driver is the culprit.

also check the event veiwer in computer management cause taht is what its there for.

Hi,

Believe me, I'm a huge advocate of a reformat/reinstall to fix things. But I'm pretty sure it's not going to work for this.

I figured out that I enabled APM in the Power Options in the control panel. This should allow my PC to completely shut down and off. I tried it with the box unchecked. It works fine that way. Then it says, "It is safe to turn off your computer." or something like that.

I went and tried the same thing on my buddies computer (he is running XP RC2, I think) and he never had APM enabled. So we enabled it and it didn't shut down - it restarted. I figured this is because he had the "automatically restart" option checked for when there was a system failure. I disabled mine.

So, I now I know that we both have the same "problem", but is there a fix? I remember something like this happening to me when I had Win2k installed a while ago, but I don't remember the fix.

Thank you for your reply though. smile

Brad

I had the same prob with my machine. The issue for me was that windows was not setting my machine as ACPI during setup. The Fix? When you do a install and it asks you to hit F6 for scsi or raid driver, hit F5 and you will get a list of machine types. I just selected ACPI (not the multi or uni processor) and it worked fine. Hope this helps you out

Thank you for the reply!

I have heard of ACPI before, but what, exactly, is it?

So, this is the only way to fix it? Why would every person have to do this?

Thanks for your help!

Brad

ACPI is advanced configuration and power interface or something like that. MAKE SURE your motherboard supports this before you force it or you'll have an os in worse shape than now, IF you can get it to install smile Not everyone would need to do this, but I had to because my bios was a bit old. Asus are getting a bit slack with updates for the P2B series moboards frown

Ah, maybe that's it! I am running an Athlon 500 mhz with an MS-6167 motherboard right now.

I am putting together a new rig with an Athlon XP 1800+ and K7T266 Pro-RU probably in about a week - which is when I will do my next reformat. Do you think I should install with the ACPI thing, or would my new unit work ok? Maybe it is just because our mobo/processors are older? And my friend's is too - he's got a 450mhz K6-2, now that I think about it.

Thanks!

Brad

Read your docs man. I don't have any of those boards, so I can't say. BUT most machines now days are ACPI, but just make sure