Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lee_frost

A bit more Clarification for ya.

Hi gents,

Hopefully this should clarify my prob.

Setup:

Basic Single NT4 DOMAIN with 1 PDC and around 150 win95 clients.

Our DOMAIN is called "DOMAIN" (Original i know).

When i say workgroup i mean for example the groups shown within network neighbourhood on a win95 box.

Within win95 this is a simple prob, u have the option to specify the group beneath the computer name within the network properties.

Unable to find this option or one similar within XP Pro.

Only options i can find are domain related, dont want to change that.

Thanks for your help guys.

Lee

ohhhhh

You cant change it. Workgroup and Domain are an either-or thing. There shoudl be a workgroup called "Domain" where the XP box shows up.

Quote:

ohhhhh

You cant change it. Workgroup and Domain are an either-or thing. There shoudl be a workgroup called "Domain" where the XP box shows up.

Which I think he mentioned he had going on before; his WinXP box was showing up in the "group" DOMAIN, with the servers (surprise, surprise). I had to blow the dust off of my Win98 laptop, and now I remember what he is talking about. That is more of a "flaw" of Win9X networking abilities, rather than a feature. Win9X can cache logon credentials in an effort to logon to a domain/workgroup, while presenting itself to a browse master as being part of another group (although it would use the domain by default during logon if so chosen). That is why all of your servers are sitting in DOMAIN and not able to be changed. If anything, I would have to say that the box is in a state of confusion more than anything else as you are telling it to authenticate against DCs in a domain, yet browse and act as a member of a workgroup for the sake of organization. I get the feeling that you guys will be doing a bit of overhauling to your network when you migrate to NT-based OSs...

smile