Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

My W2K Pro Workstation doesn't allow network access until so

Hi I would like my workstation to be able to share network resources with other users before I've logged into the workstation directly. Ie if somebody turns on my system (and nobody has logged into it yet) I still want people to be able to access network shares maintained on that workstation assuming they have acess rights.

that is weird that that doesn't work cause it used to work on my box when i ran win2k on it i think. But i am not really sure as i have been running xp as my primary os for almost a year.

It should work. Just make sure that the user that wants to access your box has a username and password on you machine.

For example, if a user is running Win98 and wants to access you Win2k workstation, and then Win98 user logs on as "Joe" and has a password or "joe". Make sure you have a user on your Win2k machine with the name "Joe" and the password "joe".

Just share them as an admin (or Power User as well, if I remember correctly) and you will be fine. Pro will support up to 10 concurrent connections (including IIS sessions) and Server is unlimited.

Now, if you are stating that you cannot get access until somebody logs on, then have you "tweaked" any services? Sometimes you can stall out the server service and not be able to host anything. I have seen this with the print spooler in NT4 Workstation occasionally, and it will only kick over when someone logs on. But, this is the exception, and not the rule.