Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Having trouble with NetBEUI? Here's the fix!!!

I was hoping to read "Don't use it!" for your post, but I guess this will work too...

:P

Well, I would've taken clutch's suggestion, but there is one tiny little problem: My dad refuses to stop using NetBEUI at home, and that pretty much fu><0r5 me if I try to use anything else.

Oh well, at least you can access the network now. So what's his reasoning for sticking with NetBEUI so strongly?

Quote:

Hehe, Clutch!

(Man, you DO hate NetBEUI for real...)

:P

It's not that I "hate" it as a protocol, but I hate its availability as a crutch. It lets people connect to other Windows systems on a network without having to properly setup TCP/IP. Now I know some people have their reasons for running it (like you do), but to use it just because you can't get TCP/IP running or for its ease of use is a bad choice. It doesn't scale well, and with the improvements in TCP/IP under Win2K I can't see a reason to use it. That's why I was glad to see it go, only to find out that it can be manually installed. But, if MS could finally kill off DOS, I imagine they can kill off NetBEUI too.

OK, here's some points for you:

1. You can use file and print sharing just fine with NetBIOS over TCP/IP setup. This can be done manually on the clients, or through some DHCP servers.

2. You can even have workstations (Win2K and newer preferrably) not use NetBIOS/WINS at all. When using Active Directory, all resources are handled via the directory and resource location is handled via DNS. You can check out the info here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q229/6/63.ASP

It does state that some software may not care for the total removal of NetBIOS and File and Print Sharing will probably not work with older clients as well.

3. Since it's a 2 system LAN, scalablity isn't even an issue, however learning good practices with current technology is something that should be carried over to all setups, not just ones that you are paid for. I mean, if you are going to settle for an out of date protocol, then why bother with a cutting edge OS to begin with, right?

4. Client for Microsoft Networks isn't something that's "broadcasted", but rather a function of the local OS and its ability to:

a. Be a member of a network (register with a browser, handle authentication, etc)

b. Handle and route local resources to external requests as per membership in said network.

NetBIOS can ride piggyback on the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX protocols that come from MS, and is half of what NetBEUI is all about.

I hope this clarifies the differences between them, and I why I feel NetBEUI should be left alone to die in peace. MS left the protocol around as a last ditch effort for people that need it for compatibility, not because it's an easier protocol to use. TCP/IP is VERY easy to use once it's understood, and that doesn't take very long for the usage in this case here. It will be killed off, that's a fact. It was left around in Win2K because of the server release more than anything else, that's why you saw it there. Don't you think it's odd that it is now more difficult to find and setup than in the past? They WANT it gone, as this would make that last few networks using it to upgrade to TCP/IP and make the transition to AD much simpler.

So yeah, I guess you can say I have issues with it.

smile

NetBEUI was the king of protocols for small LANs because of its low overhead and fast transfer speeds. Also, it used less conventional memory in DOS workstations when I set them up for our telephony products at an old job. It's small, and fast. Now, you can add "outdated" to the list of its features...

wink

Well, you'll love this development then: The day after I get NetBEUI working, guess what? My dad decides to go to IPX/SPX ;( Arrrgh!

TCP/IP is still in, but man that pisses me off a little bit. 1 freakin' day. Ahhh, that sucked.

Is it me, or does it seem like APK has entirely too much free time on his hands...

wink

Work?! What's that?

You're moking me, APK, and that makes me angry. And when Dr. Evil gets angry, people DIE!!:Plaugh