Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SpankMan

NT4 TS power saving

Having problems with power savings on my nt4 terminal server. I have searched all over and went through all help without one word about power savings.

Since i sleep in the same room as the computers i want my hard drives to shut down.

Since i couldn't find anything on this i tried setting power savings in the bios.

After setting that to 10 mins you can hear the hd going down every 10 mins but just as it's going down it spinns right back up again without even stopping completly.

Is there some service in TS that prevents the computer to shut down hd's?

I'm in desperate need for a solution to this problem. Hearing that hd whan you try to sleep is driving me crazy.

I was also wondering if there is a 2000 terminal server...

Well, I have no idea since I don't have NT 4 Terminal Server, and even if I did I wouldn't be using any power saving or standby features since it is a server. Windows 2000 server does come with Terminal Services though, and has much better power saving features than NT 4 ever had. If that's an option, then you might want to check it out.

It did cross my mind that they have implemented some sort of protection against power saving since it's a server. The reason i want it is because the server is almost never used during night. Does the 2000 server take more performace from the computer? Only have a 266 P2.. If it uses more memory is not a problem since i can always through in more.

I run my secondary AD controller on a Celeron 333 with 256MB of RAM, and it runs quite well. I also have MS SQL 2000 Server for online transactional replication with my primary server, and it runs Terminal Services and IIS. How much memory do you have in your system?

192mb but i can always add more. Problem is that i run some cpu demanding progmrams like gameservers and download programs. Therefore i'm mostly concerned about cpu performance.

Well, SQL server runs fine on that system, and it has been known to be a little CPU intensive. smile

As for memory, I would suggest at least 256MB of RAM (more like 512MB) when using TS. BTW, how many concurrent connections are you hosting?

One more thing, if you have a UPS installed on that system, it might be keeping the power management function from working properly. Also, NT was NOT the best at doing anything with power management anyway, but this might be something to look in to.

Only use 2 accounts on it and no UPS. Seems like i'll have to upgrade it to 2000 then. Which should i use? Standard server or advanced? I hope that standard has terminal services.

All 3 versions have TS, and regular server is the way to go. Also, as a note to EVERYBODY out there; if you have to ask what version to use, then you should probably be using regular server. Advanced server does quite a few more things, and are tailored for more specific tasks. However, with the ease that it's found online, many people hitting the w4rez sites to get it thinking that it's "better" when in fact it is simply different.

Just did some experiments. I set the hd shutdown time to 5 minutes in the bios. This makes the hard drive go down but exactly 5 minutes after it has shut down it starts back up again. So the question is why nt reads/writes to that disk EXACTLY every 10th minute. I have no system files or paging file on that disk (first disk is in a hd silencer) only some other files that i use for backup. So there must be some service checking the disks every 10th minute.

Don't think so. I have checked what services that are running i can't find any of those. This is really annoying since i really don't like having to reinstall my server again. But there's gotta be something like that running in the background.