Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

Caching-only DNS Server

I have a Win2k Server machine that shares my internet connection with 2 clients using Sygate.

I want to setup a caching-only DNS server on my win2k box so that I can speed up DNS lookups.

I install dns and tried to follow the directions in the help screen, but they didn't work. My clients could never find the websites I put in.

Does anyone know how to do this? If so, can you give me some detailed instructions?

TIA

This is the same thing it said in the online help:

To install a caching-only DNS server

1. To install a caching-only DNS server, install a DNS server on the server computer.

2. Do not configure the DNS server (as you might normally) to load any zones.

3. Verify server root hints are configured or updated correctly.

For more information, see Related Topics.

I did all that, but I am not sure what the "server root hints" are. I can find where they are located in DNS, but I am not sure if they are "configured or updated correctly".

Where do I put the IP's of the DNS Servers my ISP uses?

I am not sure. I am not much of a DNS person.

Do I need root hints, if I have forwarders?

Do I need forwarders or root hints for caching-only?

This to confusing. Not sure if it is worth it. frown

How many hits per hour are you looking at anyway? I have 2 Win2K DNS servers here, one is a dual p166 (:P, AND it's the Internet/Intranet site and FTP server too) and the other is a dual 866 running as a backup (it's my admin/SMS/SQL box). That dual 166 hosts about 40 or so clients that connect regularly for internal and external name resolution, and it runs WINS too for some of our older applications. Even with all this one it, it runs just fine and performs pretty quick lookups. If this is just for an exercise, then I would just fiddle with it to see what happens...

smile

I want to set this up for 2 computers. My wifes and mine.

The DNS Servers my ISP user can be slow sometimes, so I just want it to remember the IP's of places we visit. That way when we do a dns lookup, it hits my server first to see if it is cached. If not, go to my ISP's DNS servers to look it up, then cache it on mine.

I would have very little hits. My 100/day.

In that case, why not pick some other DNS servers? Do you have another ISP with faster servers that you can think of? Most DNS servers will not limit incoming requests to traffic from certain IP ranges, so you should be able to pick some others and put your ISP's DNS boxes toward the bottom of the resolution list.