Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fatlip

winamp probs

Hiya, my problem is this, I like to pay games with winamp running in the background so I can listen to my own music. Win98 did this fine, but in win2k pro, with most games I've played recently (civ 3, diablo 2, rtcw), winamp scips and jolts on songs, as if its not getting enough CPU time, its fine when run on its own and most other app (such as Ie). I've tried changing the performance options to optimise for background services, and created a batch file for winamp to start it with a higher priority, but for some reason whenever I use this, or change the priority manually thorugh task manager, its fine for a few seconds, but then the priority seems to go down to normal automatically and winamp will start stuttering. I've installed all the latest updates for win2k and am running the latest drivers for all my hardware, I have also tweaked win2k a fair bit. Does anybody know how to stop this skipping?

system specs:

AMD 800 t/bird

MSI k7T(6330) mobo

128mb RAM

Xentor 32 tnt2 ultra

Creative SBLive value

You could try changing the priority in winamp itself (Preferences -> Options -> Process Priority Class) as this is probably overriding what you set in your script..

maybe it's due to the conflict that arises when you have 2 sources trying to output thru directsound?

Try using an older ver of winamp. I'm still using 1.91 on a celeron 600 with 512 meg ram. Can play all games so far with this ver running and no skipping.

Regards

Rick