Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Single Laptop, NT and Novell Networks

I am looking to have a laptop boot into both our NT domain (soon to be AD) and a Novell 5 forest (the unit's homesite). Anybody have some insight on this? I know we can dual boot, but I would rather not complicate this any further than necessary (2 system partitions and a storage partition, licensing, etc). I would like something like the multiple hardware config mgr, but I know that it is limited to loading drivers only and doesn't seem to lend itself to controlling what software loads. Any ideas?

Would NetSwitcher work for you? I've used it to jump around among some pretty widely varied networks with my notebook, but I haven't used it much with the Novell clients.

- Collin

Thanks for the link! I called the creator, and while his software doesn't alter the behavior of Novell's Client32, he did suggest that the client can be set to not scan for its forest at boot. Now I know that Win2K and WinXP are perfectly fine when not connected to a home domain and don't throw up errors stating that a domain controller can't be found (as was the case in WinNT 4), but I am more concerned with drive mappings or anything else from the Novell network causing startup delays when the user comes to our network. Thanks again for the link.