Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ok_interested

Compatibility mode not working

Hi i have wink2 sp2 installed and i used to be able to right click on a link and enable compatibility modes..

well now it wont show that tab, even though i have enabled the compatiblity mode as recommended by microsoft by putting in the following registry setting.

regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

i have even tried removing it using the following line..

regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

and then reinstalling it.. yet still no tab for compatibility mode shows up.

i have no idea why all of a sudden that tab has dissapeard..

anyone know of a fix to this?

ive done some web searching and cant find any info other then the above, which are not helping..

someone told me to check the services to see if one is disabled that might be causing the problem but unfortunately i have many services off and many on. and well i dont know the name of the service that deals with the compatibility mode.

its obviously not called compatibility or anything common or i would notice it, so does anyone know what its service name is?

here is my list of services running.

there are only two services that are disabled and i dont think they have anything to do with compatibility mode. they are:

Routing and Remote Access

Remote Registry Service

the following are services that are manual but are not started, maby one of these might be the one? note two of them have no descriptions so im not sure about what they do. as for the others well none of their descriptions say anything about compatibility. so any more ideas?

Application Management

Clipbook

Distributed link tracking client

distributed transaction coordinator

fax service

indexing service (no description on this one )

Internet connection sharing

logical disk manager administrative service

messenger

net logon

netmeeting remote desktop sharing

network dde

network dde dsdm

nt lm security support provider

performance logs and alerts

QoS RSVP

Remote acess auto connection manager

Remote Procedure call RPC locator

RunAs service

Security acounts manger

Smart card

Smart card helper

telnet

uninterruptible power supply

utility manager

windows installer

windows time

WMDM PMSP service ( no destcription for this one)

i have also read this websites advice on services and which are usefull and which are not and i dont see any info there either on compatiblity.

http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/w...ces/index.shtml

so any further help is appreciated.

thanks for trying.

Sorry for the long post..

Try making a shortcut to the executable (drag and drop while holding down ctl-shift).

Then right click on *that*, properties, compatibility, win98/95/NT4 layer.

I still think ACT gives you better options...

ok im looking for better advice then that.. unfortunetly its somthing a little more invlolved then what your thinking

of couse ive tried on a shortcut to a exe ;( thats the whole problem in the first place.. its that the tab dosent show up.

Boy, I don't know. Since you've already tried reinstalling the compatibility patch and *that* didn't work.

If this happened to me, I'd backup/format/install. I've spent too many hours looking for an answer to some obscure problem with windows that could have easily been solved by a fresh install.

Good ole' msft is cool like that.