Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

msn messenger loads when starting OE6 even if i tell it not

I configured outlook express not to load msn messenger but it keeps doing it, and when i try to close messenger it says it's being used by another application...

Or check out this thread which links to another. These threads contain methods that deal with both Pro and Home versions of WinXP. If you are using Pro though, I would recommend using the policy manager to lock it down.

boot into safe mode delete the directory, reboot into normal mode. Then you have no messenger. Or you can edit %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf and find the word HIDE and remove it then you can use the add/remove programs to get rid of it

Thanks a lot for replying, but i'm using MSN messenger from time to time, so i can't uninstall it. I would just like it to run when i want to, and not when OE6 wants it to... frown Someties i just don't have time to chat with my contacts... and with OE loading msn i'm kinda forced too. I wish XP wasn't so bloated...great OS but lots of useless stuff in there (built-in cd burning that doesn't work, msn loading everytime, buggy error-reporting). Kinda makes me wanna go back to win2k.

Quote:

Get rid of MSN messenger and install Trillian...the new version ROCKS!
www.trillian.cc

My thoughts exactly. I use MS Messenger for a couple of people who refuse to use anything else, but theres nothing I hate more than programs that I have no control over and try to integrate in to everything I do.

Most of the people I know who wouldn't use Trillian before have finally switched, especially now that it does file transfers.