Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
collegeguy

game keeps freezing

i am trying to play warlords 3 reign of heroes. and i am running windows 2000. the game will freeze anywhere from 1s till 2 minutes in. it freezes everytime. i think there might be a compatibility issue. i have downloaded the compatability tab that lets me change to a different compatibility layer. i have tried both 95, and 98. i have also tried reinstalling. is there any way i could get the game to work.

this website suggests the following:

Download the most recent patch, then they need to change the shortcut to:

"x (Driver Letter):\Program Files\Red Orb Entertaiment\Warlords3\war3"

-wincurs This will change the cursor so that the game will work.

but i dont understand exactly what i should do. actually try typing that line in as the name of the shortcut, or what.

confused

please help me.

maybe it would work under xp.

and i apologize if this is the wrong forum, but nobody replies in the 2000 one.

Quote:
"x (Driver Letter):\Program Files\Red Orb Entertaiment\Warlords3\war3 -wincurs"

To enable this, make a regular shortcut to the .exe file. In this case, war3.

Then right click on the shortcut and goto properties.
In the target text box paste this:

"C:\Program Files\Red Orb Entertaiment\Warlords3\war3 -wincurs"

with quotes

assuming C: is where it is installed.

This is the only answer I have for you though. I've nvr played the game.

Sorry man

a box pops up that says "The name "C:\Program Files\Red Orb Entertaiment\Warlords3\war3 -wincurs" specified in the target box is not valid. pleas make sure the path and filename are correct.

yes i am sure. what is wincurs i did a search on google. and ntcompatible is the only web page out of 3 billion to have that word in it.

What you probably want is:

"C:\Program Files\Red Orb Entertaiment\Warlords3\war3" -wincurs

(IE. move the quote)

well, that worked in that i could open the game and play for awhile, but sadly after a minute it still froze. frown it didnt have a windows cursor either.

how could i get it to work? maybe run it in dos?

i dont know if win2k has a dos prompt tho. please help me. i am in the middle of an email game, and i cant make a move.

cmon, you guys have to know how to fix this, or at least say it cant be done. please help me out. i really need to know if i can fix this ****.

I had that problem with babyz in windows xp professional editoin. I used my other hard drive I had installed, put windows ME on it, booted, hit delete, went into bios and disabled primary/xp, enabled secondary hard drive/me. pressed f10 to save and exit. It works great there, as does my printer (which is not support by xp) and other non xp compliant games! Everything that isn't xp/nt compliant works there that is Me compliant! Additional hard drive and older version of windows is all that's needed besides a bootdisk to get to dos prompt to install on second hard drive. If you want to try this method, email me and I'll attempt to give you more detailed instructions/support but keep in mind I'm not responsible for your machine but I'll try to help you get where I am. I'll do my best. Dual boot is another option (which I don't recommend due to possible conflicts). Not sure if you have to disable primary hard drive in bios to boot with second without complications. I'll try that someday when I'm a bit bolder and ready to take on possible new challenges with my machine. For now, I disable. Takes less than 2 minutes to switch between hard drives when I am in the mood for xp or me.

wishing you the best.

PS. There is another post I've posted on this subject at http://www.delphi.com under babyz and windows xp. ( it is in more detail)

forgot to mention I've heard the "use 95/98/me"mode doesn't work. I tried it and nothing changed. I think that part must be a fluke. Not sure though. Maybe it does work on some games/programs. Not mine.