Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ajm786

Windows XP Question, please help

Question.

I have two hard drives on my primary channel, a Western

Digital 40GB as the master and an IBM 41GB as the slave.

I have Win98SE on the WD HDD, partitioned as a FAT32. I

have WinXP on the IBM HDD, partitioned as NTFS.

So in effect, Win98 is on the master HDD, and WinXP is on

the slave HDD.

I get frequent, and I mean frequent, BSODs on WinXP.

IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL errors and page faults, everything.

Do you think this could be attributed to the fact the

WinXP is on the slave HDD?

And by the way, everything, EVERYTHING in my system is

WinXP compatible. See for yourself.

Here are my system specs:

Asus P4T-E w/BIOS Rev. 1003

P4 1.5Ghz

512MB PC800 ECC Samsung RDRAM

Western Digital 40GB 7200RPM ATA100 HDD

IBM 40GB 7200RPM ATA100 HDD

Pioneer 16X DVD-115

Mitsumi CR-48X8TE 16x8x40 CDRW

PNY Geforce 3 Ti200

Realtek LAN Ethernet card

Adaptec 2940AU SCSI adapter

Soundblaster Audigy Platinum

Hauppauge WinTV TV tuner

Thanks in advance for any help.

The fact that XP is booting from the slave has nothing to do with your problem.Even if your hardware is XP compatible it sounds more likely that it IS a hardware error.

Try to locate it by disabling when using XP the SCSI adapter which sometimes is a real *****.

The only think that can be related to the HD is a faulty cable, which i strongly doubt.If you want to be sure about that as well, then set the WinXP HDD to master, disconnect the other win98 HDD and try it this way.Maybe it's a wrong jumper setting you're doing as well.

When you get BSOD with IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL, a lot of things might be going wrong.You're going to have to do a lot of testing and a lot of different configs in order to find out.

I don't understand how it could in fact be the SCSI card, because if it was I would get the same error in Win2k. The two OSs are alike so much.

I've tried basically everything. If you look at my hardware specs, do you think you could give me any suggestion to which other hardware could be causing the problem other than the SCSI card?

THNX.

Now things are getting clearer.If you used win2k drivers for your SCSI card or for any other hardware you might be experiencing incompatibility problems that result the BSOD.Win2k and WinXP are built on the same NT kernel but they are quite different.I've seen a lot of hardware that don't work properly on winXP with the drivers of win2k.Download all the XP drivers for your hardware, by going to the manufacturer.You wouldn't have any problem finding it, since your hardware is new and the manuf. are big names.

And i do mean every driver, including your sound blaster ones.I am not saying that the SCSI fails for a 100%, it might be some other device.That's why you should try upgrading to XP drivers first to eliminate the chances of incompatibility.

GL

I got an IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL Bsod last night, and I could NOT reproduce it, lol.

Booted up the system, logged in, started my DSL connection, fired up IE then Winamp. 2-3 minutes later i tried to maximize the IE window and I got the BSOD, lol. Rebooted, and it ran for hours without a glitch...

Go figure...

Quote:

Now things are getting clearer.If you used win2k drivers for your SCSI card or for any other hardware you might be experiencing incompatibility problems that result the BSOD.Win2k and WinXP are built on the same NT kernel but they are quite different.I've seen a lot of hardware that don't work properly on winXP with the drivers of win2k.Download all the XP drivers for your hardware, by going to the manufacturer.You wouldn't have any problem finding it, since your hardware is new and the manuf. are big names.
And i do mean every driver, including your sound blaster ones.I am not saying that the SCSI fails for a 100%, it might be some other device.That's why you should try upgrading to XP drivers first to eliminate the chances of incompatibility.
GL

I think you misunderstood me a bit.

I am NOT using Win2k drivers in WinXP. Personally, I would think that would be absurd.

WinXP has default drivers for the Adaptec 2940AU SCSI drivers. I don't have to install any other drivers.

The only drivers I install for my devices are the WinTV card and the Audigy sound card; everything else is picked up automatically during WinXP setup.

Thanks for your help.

OK i understand now.Look i am a 100% convinced that it's not the hard drive that it's doind all this.No way.

So i suggest to try and do the following as an ultimate solution:

1) Upgrade your BIOS(sometimes some OS fail on some m/boards-seen that a lot in win2k)

2) check the drivers for your winTV and the SB Audigy cards since they're the only ones you installed yourself.

As is said before IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD is usually hardware problem caused by incompatible driver, settings etc. So you should try and work this out.

If you are patient then remove the WinTV and the sound card from your system (uninstall the software first) and work without it, so you can test it out and see if these are the problems. This way you're eliminating one by one the possible cause of the BSOD.