Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

MSN Messenger 4.5/4.6 Probs with Win2k Pro

Hey all,

Here's hoping SOMEONE out there has come across this....

Ever since I went to Messenger 4.5, when I now log on, a lot of times I'm getting as far as signing in, Messenger loading my contact list and THEN throwing up an error stating that "msmsgs.exe has generated errors and will be shut down" - the program then terminates.

Needless to say it become REALLY annoying when it takes 3/4 attempts to sucessfully manage to STAY logged in. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling (deleting appropriate reg keys & directories), upgrading to the latest version (4.6), and I've even reinstalled the operating system (albeit as part of my regular 6 month "housekeeping routine" :)) but STILL this problem persists.

Now, I AM running the Plus! extension with Messenger, but I've tried removing this as well to no avail...as I mentioned above, this has only started since going to v4.5+ and unfortunately none of my friends (with similar video/soundcard/software setups) are able to reproduce the problem - nor can I recreate it on my Win2k box in work which includes most of the software below (with the exception of Easy CD Creator & has NAV2000 Corporate as opposed to NIS 2002) frown

Anyway, here's what I'm running:

Win2k Pro (with SP2 & all current updates)

MSN Messenger (4.6.0027) & Messenger Plus! (1.41c)

DirectX 8.1

Norton Internet Security 2002

Easy CD Creator 4.05

Pop-Up Killer 1.45

Of course this isn't a full list but I've tried to include everything that is running on startup...On the Hardware side:

DELL XPS T550 (PIII @ 550Mhz)

Creative 32MB Geforce 1 DDR (to be replaced tomorrow with the GF3 Ti200 - wahey! ;))

Creative SB Live Value

Lucent v.92 Hardware Modem

Toshiba SD-M1212 6X DVD-ROM

Plextor 16/10/40 CD-RW

40GB & 12GB Maxtor IDE HD

RealTek 10 BaseT NIC (currently disabled)

ANY suggestions or assistance anyone may have would be GREATLY appreciated as this problem is driving me mad frown

Thanks in advance guys, oh and a Happy New Year to everyone here! smile

Kaiser