Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ahearnb

Complicated Outlook Express, WinME/WinXP problem

Hi,

Here's the story. I switched motherboards and did not reformat. I sold my other motherboard. I am dual booted (WinME and WinXP) and find that when I boot into WinXP, I automatically get a BSOD and have to restart. It will not let me into the OS AT ALL. Not with safe mode, or anything!

But I can work in WinME. Now, due to a bad ebay transaction, I need to get to some of the email messages that I sent and received when I was using WinXP. Is there any way to do this? How can I access my WinXP Outlook Express messages when in WinME?

If anyone has any suggestions, please enlighten me! Thanks!

Brad

The mail files are stored in "Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{user key}\Microsoft\Outlook Express". The dbx files have all of the email... you can copy them over the files in ME and then open outlook express. I'm not sure where they are stored in ME though. Also, make sure you backup any files you overwrite, so you can restore them when you are done...

Or, to try to restore the XP stuff, boot off the XP cd and see if it can repair or refresh the installation.

If the WinXP partition is formatted as FAT32, this won't be a problem. Just copy the inbox file (Inbox.dbx I believe) to the WinME partition. If it is formatted NTFS, reinstalling WinXP as an upgrade over the current XP install should work, but I'd suggest performing a clean install of it after you've recovered your info.

You guys are awesome! Thank you both!

It is FAT32, so I just copied them over...that was easy.

Brad