Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

XP Pro or Win2k Pro better for this system?

Also please let me know why you think one is better than the other. I am a avid gamer(i know im working on the vid card situation smile ) and broadband internet user.

My system:

T-bird 1.33ghz

384 megs PC2100 DDR

Epox 8K7A rev 1.0

45 gig IBM 75GXP

20 gig WD

Toshiba DVD-rom

Panasonic CD-RW

SBlive Value

adsl modem (2k and XP drivers available)

Matrox g550 32 meg DDR

Promise Ultra100TX2 ata-100 controller

XP Pro may be the better choice if you're having problems getting some games to run. XP is still new, and badly in need of a service pack.

I haven't had any issues, and I am not aware of any that would draw the comment of it "badly" needing a service pack. Then again, every OS gets such comments in its first release whether or not they are deserved.

This certainly isn't the first thread I've read where the words "WinXP badly needs a Service Pack" and/or "I am not touching WinXP until SP1 is released".

Maybe somebody should start a new thread listing all these issues under WinXP that so badly require a SP to fix them.

Then we could all see where these problems are (Maybe I'm just assuming I haven't seen them) or suggest ways of clearing up the problem without this SP.

Ive seen nothing in XP that makes me think its 'badly' needs a service pack, it runs great.

I would go with XP on that pc simply because XP works right outta the box where as with 2k you would probably need to get loads of updates/fixes and because its the latest version. But lets face it, they are practically the same thing underneath the blueness of XP smile

XP isn't perfect yet, though many people have had no problems with it.

XP randomly deciding to drop all my USB devices (very annoying when you have a USB mouse and keyboard) is enough to convince me that it's in need of something (anyone know of a fix for that one yet?), though simple hotfixes would do for now rather than a full blown service pack.

I've got some XP drivers for my scanner now, so once I've fixed the USB problem I may move to XP properly.