Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
El_Mono

Win2k -> Win98 networking, new question.

A little background ...

Cable modem is connected to LinkSys switch. RoadRunner allocates 3 ip's to each cable modem which makes internet connection alot easier. (Don't have to mess with ICS). 3 Computers, 1 Win2k, and 2 Win98.

To get the network working in the past I've installed the NetBUI protocal and everything "worked". If I FTP'd or ICQ'd a file from one computer to the other, the data was transfered out of the computer to the cable modem to the RoadRunner network and back, at a whopping 384kbit on a 100mbit lan. File/Print sharing were only limited by the computer hardware.

I Looked through the forums here, and its a mixed batch of opinions, but it seems most don't like NetBUI. So I've decided to install a subnet to hopefully alleviate the file sharing problems. In win98 I can add another TCP/IP protocal and define what ever other functions I want. (1 tcp/ip is set up for DHCP, and 1 is forced for the 192.168.0.* on the 255.255.255.0 subnet) .. no problems there. Win2k on the other hand is not playing nice. It won't let me add a 2nd protocal like win98.

I bang my head against the wall for a litte bit, but then come across the "advanced" button in the tcp/ip properties. If I add the 192.168.0.* ip first, it will then allow me to add another ip. Unfortunately NOT a DHCP one though. If I add the DHCP one first, it doesn't let me add ANY other ip.

3 computers + 3 internet ips + 2 different operating systems + 1 network that doesn't play nice = a severe butt kicking. frown

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

2 days, 16 views later not one reply ? Come on, there has to be one of you IT professionals out there that is willing to push a clue my way.confused

Are all 3 machines on the same subnet when getting their IPs? Also, do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on all 3 machines? Have you tried simple connecting to another client using \\IP\share to see how fast you could transfer a file?

If you have answered "Yes" to all of those questions, and you are using 3 DHCP assigned IPs on that switch, then you are pretty much stuck with having all the name resolution handled via your cable modem. You could:

A. Use NetBEUI, or

B. Get a Linksys Router, save some money and only get 1 IP from RR, and that way you can use static IPs on your LAN.

As far as "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP", I have never had it unchecked. I have looked on various different computers, and its always greyed out (and checked). The computers are getting IP's via a dhcp server.

I just installed one of those cable/DSL routers at my wife's work the other night. It was a belkin and totally alleviated ALL network problems they were having. Unfortunately my home network is a little different setup. I have one computer that I IRC/FTP (to and from)/Usenet/ICQ .. pretty much run the gambit of TCP/IP applications. The other 2 have ICQ on them, but don't necessarily need the unique ip adress. I'd like the one (my server, Win2k) to have unlimited access to the internet, but still be able to share files with the other computers (WinXP Pro, Win98Se).

Is that within the realm of the cable/dsl routers ? And if it is, how much port forwarding and special rules would I have to setup ?

I just installed NetBEUI on all the computers, and this WinXP still isn't seeing the others, yet the others are talking fine. I wish I could get this dang thing working frown

BTW.. Thanks clutch for the reply laugh

I had a Linksys BEFSR41 in use before going to ISA server, and I used it to host:

3 Websites

3 Terminal Services Connections (2 using changed ports)

2 FTP sites

1 Exchange Server

1 SQL Server Remote connection

1 Q3A Server occasionally

And it worked with all of those very well.

As for the NetBEUI issue, have you tried direct attempts using \\pcname\sharename to and from the XP box? Also, if you are relying on Network Neighborhood to find computers and their shares, then you should know that it could take about 50 minutes or more of a system to cycle into the Master Browse list (which is where the Network Neighborhood is pulled from), during which you will not see the computer's name. And, since you are now using NetBEUI, make sure to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP since it just broadcasts your system info over the IP protocol, and you probably don't want to share that information with everybody.

One more thing, you don't, by chance, have the firewall enabled on the XP box do you? Normally this is something that is turned off for troubleshooting, but I am just checking. Since you have all 3 of these machines running wide open to the internet, having firewalls on all 3 would be the obvious thing to do. However, you want to treat them as if they are on the same LAN (when they *should* be on a VPN, but that's probably not going to happen) so they can share files locally. You *really* should just have all 3 behind a NAT device, and that would make life MUCH MUCH easier and more secure, but if you are determined to rig this, then you should probably bind NetBEUI higher than TCP/IP on the NICs of all 3 machines, and then heavily lock down TCP/IP on all 3 machines. I still think it's a really bad idea going this route, but that's just my opinion.

Well I think I am going to go ahead and get a router (switch or hub) combo. I liked the "freedom" allocated with an ip on each box, but I see I won't ever be able to truly enjoy the network/internet combo unless they are NAT'd. I was looking on the Dlink site the other night, and they have one with a printer port on it, which would make things VERY nice. Thanks for all the help.;)