Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ddyck

udma problem

Currently I am running both Win98 and Win2000 on my computer. I have 2 Maxtor HDD installed which are both udma compliant. In Win98, both harddrives are recognized as udma and I get good transfer rates with both. In Win2000, only the primary master is recognized as udma. The primary slave is set to PIO only, and I get terrible transfer rates with it. I have the primary slave set as "udma if available" but it doesn't recognize it. I have made changes to the registry to recognize it as udma, but nothing works. If I take the HDD out and reinstall it, would my problem be fixed? I don't know where to go from here. Help please.

Dave

see the post i just made about this very same prolem under the "maxtor 30gb too slow" post... it may be helpful

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!

Thanks to the amazingly dedicated geeks like myself at Lockergnome, I found out the my primary slave (CDRW) was slowing down the whole ide cable!

I just put both my HDDs on the primary cable and the dvd and CDRW on the secondary!! ALL is good now!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your transfer rates to your CDRW should improve, as well. By the way, what type of CDRW and DVD do you have? I am currently seeking two that will play well together, and have heard some nightmare stories...

This 'issue' was corrected with the Intel 815 chipset and newer.

If you read the specification of that chipset you'll see that Intel added a system that allows each IDE device on a channel to run at independent speeds, so an ATA-33 device will run at that speed which in turn will not slow down an ATA-100 device running at it's correct speed.

It always was the case that on a single IDE channel both devices would slow down to the speed of the slowest device.

unfortunately I'm running an AMD 751 Irongate Northbridge and a VIA 686a Southbridge on my ASUS K7M... it's AMD