Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pkiff

SERVICES.EXE 100% CPU useage

I have a Windows 2000 machine and sometimes at startup SERVICES.EXE takes up 100% of my CPU. Sometimes this happens for a few seconds but sometimes it stays until the next time I restart. Sys. specs. on request.

There are many services that run under the name Services.exe. What you can do for a start is open your services from control panel--> administrative tools, sort the services by status(running or not) and then try and see which services are logged as services.exe by double clicking the service names and looking at the "Path to executable" line to see if it is logged as "services.exe".

Note down the services that log under that name, and then try to see what is going on on your system startup.

For example Plug and Play, DHCP, and DNS client are logged as services.exe.

Check you network status and anything related to these services (and more that you will find).

Write back if you need any help.

The service named "SERVICES.EXE" (you can see it in the Task Administrator) used 100% CPU due to the DHCP.

I have a 3com 812 OCR router using DHCP and this caused that the Windows2000 seems blocked around 1 second after 5 seconds doing well.

I have solved the problem changing the properties of the TCP/IP of the LAN connection, telling the OS use a specific IP direction, netmask, gateway an DNS servers.

I hope this post help other users with this problem.

Bye,

frapen