Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qwerty01

Windows XP could not start because the following file is mis

Its been a while since I posted here, but I couldn't help many people anyways because most of the people here are smarter than me. Prove I'm right guys, this problem has me very frustrated. Here is my error message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Or as it is better known, error message Q303012. I could not boot because of this error & had to go to my Win98 computer to search for a solution.

I searched http:\\support.microsoft.com & found the fix.

Basically, I had to rename system to system.bak & copy c:\windows\repair\system in the recovery console.

Now, this worked flawlessly, I just had to reinstall my video & sound drivers, and redo some configurations.

So no problem, right? Wrong. The info on the fix did not say anything about what happens when after doing the fix, the computer will work for about 3-4 days before repeating the error, & having to do the fix again, and having to reinstall the drivers & configs again. This is very frustrating to have a fix that lasts less than a week. I have searched the knowledge base, & couldn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would check your RAM - the only time I've seen this happen is in a PC with bad RAM. Swapped it out with some decent stuff, and everything worked happily ever after.

The other suggestion would be to check your hard drive - although the chances of errors re-occurring on exactly the same file every time are slim.

I would go with the RAM problem.

Rgds

Andy

OK, I switched out my 256MB stick of Crucial DDR RAM that they recommended for my EPOX 8KHA mobo with another. Seemed to work fine, but after 4 reboots, the problem returned. Do you think I should try to switch to slot 2 of the RAM slots?

I have had Win 98SE on this computer for several months before I formatted & went to XP. I never had trouble with my RAM or HD before. Here are my specs if it helps.

EPOX 8KHA DDR mobo

1GHZ AMD Tbird

IBM Dekstar 40GB HD

WD 20GB HD

256MB Crucial DDR RAM

Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer

Creative 52X CD-ROM

Pioneer 16X DVD

Hercules Geforce 256 32MB DDR

300watt PS

Linksys 10/100

EDIT: I have all patches for XP installed.

All of the RAM problems I've encountered with XP all worked when the machines were running Win9x. The WinNT-based OSes (Win NT, 2000 & XP) are all a lot more aggressive when using RAM, meaning that any problems with the RAM are more likely to appear with these systems.

Having said that, I've never seen problems with Crucial RAM before (that's always what I've recommended that people with problems buy!), so it may not be the RAM - but you could try swapping slots, and see if that makes a difference.

A couple of other thoughts - what model IBM drive are you using - some people have problems with some of the earlier model ATA100 drives from IBM (can't remember the model - possible 70GXP? Do a search on this msg board to find out). Also, are you overclocking at all - if so, try running at "normal" speed, and see if that helps.

The only other thing I could suggest is that you remove the sound & network cards, and see if the problem continues. If not, add the cards one at a time, and see if it comes back.

Sorry I can't be more specific - it's a matter of trial and error to try and find a solution for you!

Hope this helps,

AndyF

Quote:
can't remember the model - possible 70GXP?

75GXP (I have ruined 2)

Andys rundown of checks etc is what i would do.
Check you have your CAS settings right for your RAM also.