Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bre

Startup problems

I have an Athlon TB 1.333, Win 2000 Pro. I'm having hangups when starting. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes I have to reset or power down a couple of times before the thing boots fully.

When it does stop, it's at the white screen with the blue progress bar. The bar is about two-thirds of the way where it hangs, always at the same spot.

Anyway, is there some kind of diagnostic tool I can use to determeine exactly what is causing the problem? The bootlog doesn't show anything, becuase I only get a log when it boots fully. When it hangs, there's no info in the bootlog. I'm a novice with Win 2000, absolutely in the dark.

Thanks for any help.

Try booting into safe mode and uninstalling the MS pre-SP3 hotfixes. Usually fixes it for me.

If that don't fix it, you'll probably need to do a clean install of windows. Trust me, it sucks, but you should only have to do that once smile

Might be due to USB or ACPI problems...

What other hardware do you have?

Let's see. I have a CDROM and CDRW, a USB Canon scanner, Roadrunner external modem, 2 nic cards. I seem to remember something like FM803 or something like that coming up in an error a while back. Is that an audio driver?

I put this thing together from parts I had lying around or in other PCs. I bought the MB, CPU, mem, case and started from there.

Thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll just leave it on instead of shutting down every time I leave.

I thought there might be some kind of utility that would log what was happening when it boots other than the bootlog. I remember with Win98, I had something that would show times and you could see if something was taking a long time to load.

It's no biggie. I was just worried that one day it wouldn't boot at all. I'll probably get a new one in about 6 months, so I'll just cross my fingers until then.

Remove the drivers for your sound card, shutdown, and then pull out the sound card....then reboot without the sound card in the machine. Then see what happens...

I have seen many soundcards do the exact same thing you have described....including my own. If the soundcard is your problem, then I would recommend putting the card into a slot where you can manually assign its own IRQ. Then update its drivers and see what happens...

Good luck...

Hi

Three suggestions after trying all the above, based on problems I had:

1. Power Supply can't cope. Not all 300W are the same, I bought an Enermax which puts out 185W on the 5v/3.3v, my old one put out 150w.

Didn't make a damn bit of difference though, but I've got meself a nice PSU now.

2. Check all HDD connectors. I use a pair of long nose pliers to tighten them all. As you make/break connections they loosen, and one of my RAID drives was cutting out. Not nice.

3. My CPU is unlocked and overclocked to within a few MHz of it's life. It's a Duron 800 at 7.5 X 133. At anything but "Default" in the CPU multiplier in the BIOS, it hung randomly even when 8x was selected. The L1 bridge trick drops a few millivolts, so I had to increase the core voltage. If you can, put it up the barest minimum and see what happens.

GBN

Epox 8KTA3+, Duron 800 at 7.5x133

768 MB Crucial CAS 2 PC133

2x10GB Maxtor 7200rpm ATA 100s as RAID 0

15Gb Maxtor 7200 rpm ATA 66 as backup drive

16/10/40 CDRW

GF2 MX400

+usual bits

I can now CD copy on the fly whilst simultaneously defragging all drives and doing a full virus scan. And surf while all this is going on. That's multitasking.