Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
masooli

machine keeps rebooting under WinXP

Folks...Please help me.

My machine keeps rebooting on its own every hour or so whether I am working on it or not. Evidently this is making me quite P.O-ed. Would anyone suggest what might be causing it and what course of action I should take?

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------

Asus pc32000 (i820 chipset) motherboard

Pentium III 800 eb

192 MB sdram pc 100

Nvidia TNT2 model 64 video card

Plextor 12x10x32 scsi cd-rw

Toshiba cd rom XM-6202B

IBM-DTTA-351010 and WDC-AC24300L hard drives

Win XP

Turn off automatic reboot (Control Panel->System) and see what BSOD Windows is giving you.

First option is then to run the Stop code through support.microsoft.com, or come back here and ask us!

Rgds

AndyF

Thanks AndyFair

I have just turned off the automatic restart and waiting for the dreaded BSOD... I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Hello Good people

The BSOD says that my problem is likely caused by the file:

NV4_disp.

Apparently the device gets stuck in an infinite loop which indicates that there is a problem with the device or the device driver proggramming the hardware incorectly.

What should I do folks? Please help

Windows indiactes that your display driver is causing the problem.

Try this; download a new version of the Nvidia drivers and install them.

You might also want to go over to Google, and do a search for "uninstall nvidia drivers completely" or something similar to make sure you get out all old files.

Another thing you might want to try is to run the PC with the case open, just to check that the problem is not caused by overheating.

H

If you're using a VIA-based motherboard, pop over to the Via website and pick up a copy of the latest 4-in-1 drivers. These contain a patch to help alleviate the problems which cause the infinte loop BSOD. Do a search on this board, or any other XP board for "infinte loop", and you'll find that you're not alone in suffering from this problem.

I would also make sure that you're using the latest drivers from nVidia, although people on this board have reported varying levels of success with the new drivers.

Rgds

AndyF

NO, NO NO,

don't touch the VIA 4 in 1, they are not for you !!

You say you're using a Asus pc32000 (i820 chipset) motherboard & Pentium III 800 eb, VIA has nothing to do with this!

H

Oops, my bad - didn't check the specs - although I did say "if"!

This is a known problem with WinXP, not just on Via based boards, or just on AMD processors, or even with nVidia cards.

As far as I am aware, Via are the only company to have come up with a solution/explanation for the problem - which is all to do with the way that XP handles memory transfers (i can't remember the details off the top of my head, but there was a recent post on this board explaining the cause)

Rgds

AndyF

no, no no no no NO!

All rumours and lies. As AndyFair said, it's not via specific, nor is it nvidia, amd, intel or anything specific. Well...sorta. The ONLY constant in these problems is the WindowsNT kernel, and out of that, 99% of the problems occur in XP. There is no definitive fix, but there are a few things you can try.

I have the definitive page of possible fixes on a forum that was compiled from several months of troubleshooting.

Come and see the product of the "Alliance Against Infinite Loops" here:

http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=21016

Hope this helps.

Btw, the 4in1s have helped a LOT of people...it's not the system killer people make it out to be, and if something does happen (usually IDE related) just rollback the drivers.

Thank you folks

The folks at http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?

suggested that I:

1- Upgrade my system BIOS to the latest version.

2- Reduce my desktop colour settings to 16bit colour

3- Try increasing I/O voltage by one of two values in my BIOS.

4- Try reseating my card in it's slot. Have it pushed up as far as I can without any possible damage.

I have done 1,2, & 4 for now...

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

M

Asus p3c2000 (i820 chipset) motherboard

Pentium III 800 eb

192 MB sdram pc 100

Nvidia TNT2 model 64 video card

Plextor 12x10x32 scsi cd-rw

Toshiba cd rom XM-6202B

IBM-DTTA-351010 and WDC-AC24300L hard drives

Win XP pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazultra2000
...As dirty harry said...

Not to nitpick, Daz, but it was me wot said that!
The Via 4-in-1s worked for me, nor have I had any instability since I installed them - the only problem is that they only fix the problems on a handful of machines (ie those AMD+VIA based mobos), they don't help all of the other masses using other motherboards, etc.

The over-riding theme is that the problem seems to be down to Microsoft, and not any specific hardware manufacturer (for once, VIA is not to blame!) - and if people are sending their crash results to Microsoft, they must have thousands of cases by now, just for this one system error. Strangely, they didn't happen for me with any of the XP Betas, only with the RC versions - so MS must be able to work out what they changed? XP has been released for 4 months now, with no updates from MS...let's hope they're working on a solution!

Rgds
AndyF

How are the VIA IDE drivers, last time i installed them they for some reason wouldnt let my HollyWood+ read my DVD drive to decode from.