Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

File in use??

Hi smile

Im just trying to work out why this is happening to these files, any input is welcome cos im all outta ideas.. frown

Basically i have some mp3s in a directory, and when trying to play them it wont work. Winamp just skips to the next file in the playlist and media player tells me that the file is in use, and i know that its not.

1 thing i noticed is that all the files are read only. I tried to change them so they wernt and it says the same thing, also tried threw "cmd" and the attrib command.

I cant even delete these files as there is an apparent sharing violation.

If anyone could help me with this i will worship you forever 8)

Oh yeah, 1 thing, i have noticed that it seem to be only the older mp3s that show this, all the new ones play just fine (by new i mean in the last 2ish weeks).

They don't have any kind of protection on them do they? I know that Windows Media Player defaults to saving files with protection, and I didn't know how they would behave. Also, is it possible that the files are simply corrupted?

the only thing i can think is to make sure you'r permissions are all set properly. Right click on the directory and go to properties. then go to the Security tab and make sure that "Everyone" has full control. Then go to advanced and tick "Replace permissions entries on all child objects...." and make sure it has "allow everyone full control" then click apply.

See if that fixes it. if it doesn't go back into the "advanced" bit and go to the Owner tab. then tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" "Change Owner To" your username and click apply.

i had a problem similar to that a while ago, i did that and it fixed it. I hope that sorts it out for ya...

Ok thanks prost, ill give those things a go when i get home later. I really hope they are not corrupted though, i did run a quick scandisc and it found nothing.

Clutch i know what you mean about the protection thing, but last time i saw that it actually says something like "the file is protected and will only play on blah blah pc" etc.

only time i had a mp3 skip was due to the filename, it was in chinese but windows converted it to some funky characters, i just ended up renaming the song and it worked.

OK tried it again, and it must be said that prost is now officially a god. You do not realise how much work you have just saved me smile

Thankyou very much smile

This is obviously a morpheus specific problem, it had just managed to set the permissions so that no-one (not even the administrator) had access to any of the files. 8)

Anyway, changing the owner worked and me is happy again laugh

make sure that the Morpheus files and directory are set to have your permissions. If they do not then any file you download using that POS program will be changed to the ghost user permissions, and you will have to reset all of them.

I had the same Exact Problem. I went into Services and Disabled Norton Anti Virus Auto Protect and everything worked just fine. Make sure you disable your anti virus's auto protect feature, as it somehow puts a lock on almost ALL files!