Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Loud freaking noise in my PC

I suddenly come across a loud noise from the inside of my PC. It is really loud. It has happened before and usually goes away for some reason and then comes back after a few months, but right now it is really loud and quite annoying. I tried blowing the dust off of my 2 CPU fans. I have a SLOT type processor with 2 fans attached to the heat sink. The noise seems to be coming from the CPU/Power Supply area. How else can I get rid of the noise?

Is it like a squealing, high-pitched sound? Could be a capacitor that's going out. Just do what what sapiens suggested and get a good PSU. I just got an Enermax that I am pretty happy with, and I am a fan of PC Power and Cooling units as well.

the sound is like a grinding noise with an occasional high chug like a car starting up just not that loud.

Most fans have a small "E" or "C" clip that keep the fan shaft in place with respect to the motor to keep the fan blade from falling out of its shell. This clip could have come out, and that would cause the fan to float in and out of the motor, and it would occasionally brush up against the guard or its shell causing the noises that you are hearing. If you are interested in opening up your PSU, you can then take the fan out and see if it's loose or ready to come out of its shell. If the clip came off but you can find it (and can't replace the whole unit for whatever reason), you can sometimes put the clip back on and it should stay in place long enough to get you through your next LAN party or so until you get a replacement for it.

I wouldnt want to take the chance with it going bad. They can realy cause issues if they do