Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

F5 option durning setup?

The of the 4 choices in the F5 option durning setup what are the I486 and SMP (or something like that) choices? I tried to search M$ site but couldn't find anything.

Is the first choice 'standard PC' the same as not choosing F5 in the first place?

Generally the only reason you'd want to hit F5 is if you have a ACPI supporting motherboard and you wanted to choose Standard PC instead so you wouldn't install ACPI.

What's the difference between standard PC and the default (not choosing F5) setting?

Do you know what the I486 and SMP (if that's what the 3rd choice is) are?

Depends. Standard PC is the same if your motherboard does not support ACPI. Either way it will install Standard PC. If your motherboard supports ACPI it will install the ACPI version. Not sure on the others.

SMP is Symmetric Multi-Processor which is used by machines with more than one processor.

As for I486 I really don't know.

Standard PC is for any PC which does not support ACPI and is not multi-processor. As to which one is chosen by setup if you don't press F5 - well that depends on the computer! By not pressing F5, setup tries to guess which HAL to use. By pressing F5 you get to tell it which HAL to use. Just a case of manual or automatic.

Ok on the SMP.........

Anyone for the I486?

Anything to do with the I386 folder in 2k maybe?