Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ryoko

XP on a peer to peer with 9x

Hello everyone,

I must admit, I've been avoiding XP for a while but yesterday I had my first experience networking it. My client has a simple peer to peer network with win9x machines and a new XP box. As for protocols, the 9x machines use netbeui and TCP/IP with 192.168.0.x ip's throughout.

Everything works as it should, however it takes a long time (over a minute) to access any resources between the machines. Any ideas on speeding things up. Even prior to the XP box's intro they said things went slowly, so it may be on the 9x machines. I have heard others mention this issue before but this is my first time seeing it.

Oh, I said I was avoiding XP until now. Well now that I worked with it, it seems pretty nice. I expected it to be a pain to network, but I found everything I was looking for easily, and it connected well.

-Ry

i have the same problem.

it seems that networking with win98 or winme with win2k or in ur case winxp, the network browsing is very slow. i would also like to know a solution to this problem.

Try doing a search here for the registry key to can that stops asking the target workstation for printer and schedule task listings. This performance hit is negated when using a network that is configured with WINS or DDNS (some sort of name registration system that also caches system type and resources). It is supposed to speed up network browsing significantly.

smile

That one should be it. I'll have to hit up Philipp and see if we can get some of these posts put into the FAQ (like the IIS ones that seem to be coming up a lot lately ;)).

Do you mean the FAQ in the top icon? There isn't anything in there other than user and board maintenance items. It sounds like a good idea, but the existing one might get cluttered. I like the idea though.

[edit]

-- Sorry, looked on the main page and saw what you meant. For some reason the sidebar is comming up as black on my system so I can't read the titles. Probably from maintenance on the page.

This is word for word from http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=5

It is located at the bottom of the page. It works for me.

This is a great tweak. Before I found it, I was always smashing my head against the table waiting to view shares on other computers. Basically, when you connect to another computer with Windows XP, it checks for any Scheduled tasks on that computer - a fairly useless task, but one that can add up to 30 seconds of waiting on the other end - not good! Fortunately, it’s fairly easy to disable this process. First, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace in the Registry. Below that, there should be a key called {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. Just delete this, and after a restart, Windows will no longer check for scheduled tasks - mucho performance improvement!