Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acrononymous

My C Drive Partition is running out of room

I am running Windows XP Professional on a machine I received from my work when my company folded. I got the machine but very little of the software I need to use for development so I can't really reinstall.

I have a 20 GB drive which was partitioned with a very small C partition and a large D partition. I have tried to install all programs to the D drive but am still almost out of space on my C drive because some things are required to be on C.

I also have another 20 GB drive which I currently use primarily as a backup.

Can I:

a) Change the amount of space allocated to the C drive with unused space from the D drive without reformatting?

B) Add the 2nd Hard Drive as virtual space for my C drive using the MountVol command?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Would Partition Magic allow me to Change the amount of space allocated to the C drive with unused space from the D drive without reformatting?

I just looked at the PowerQuest Site. That looks like it will do the trick for me.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Good little program that is, it should resize it no prob.

I would move swap file to D: smile it usually takes arround 500megs smile

BTW: Sometimes I had problems with Partition Magic & NTFS drives... Sometimes it generates some strange errors... But it's anyway worth of trying smile

-Andrej

You don't give too much info, do you ?

Here a few tricks to trim down windows:

Move the SWAP file, like iks said, thats a biggie

Turn off hibernation, delete hiberfil.sys, it takes as much space as you have RAM

Delete all *.tmp files

Run the Programs /Accessories/System Tools /Disk Cleanup with everyhting enabled.

Go through all *.bmp files, which ones do you really need ?

Open the Add/remove applet in control Panel- which programs & parts of windows do you really need?

Make a search in google on "trim down windwows" and similar..

Apart from this, Partition Magic works very well if you don't wan't to do any cleaning...

H.

Also, u can turn off System Restore, Cut down the VM, when i do a fresh installl of XP, i have a 4.5g part. for it XP sets my VM to 900mb - 1500mb, and i only got 512 in my sys, so this can be cut down, and or moved to another drive, which makes it faster anyways.

POwequest i do not trust

twice on win 2k i was doing as you wanted, moving space to another drive. Both times it frooze on me and i lost over 40+g of info. was not happy, and will never use it again.

Partition magic is a demo meaning it wont make changes until its purchased. ANyone know of any free programs ???

try to use acronis disk director, you can download the trial version from there site. and as i know it allow to use all features for 14 days.