Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sheedoshi

Win Nt and larger HDs -->beyond 8.4GB

Is there any limitation in NT that would prevent it from recognizing

larger HDs? how about 40GB, (please disregard fat16 limitation)

No. It's a hardware thing. You'd probably be looking at chopping up a drive into a number of partitions, but as long as the motherboard (or appropriate addon card) will support the drive's size, you shouldn't be in trouble.

Thank You, truly appraciate it guys,

P.S.

well, yes, I have winnt fat16 limitation issue resolved, I can deal with that.

I could never get NT4 to install on a hard disk that was larger in size than 2 gigs or so even if I partitioned it.

Odd, I did it regularly. The last drive that I can remember installing NT4 on was 30GB, and I created a 2GB system partition to install it on, and once I got my SP on it I would make a new partition out of the remainder.

thanks again, 30GB!!, that's what I wanted to hear I guess as I want to get a 40GB one.

I think I have enough confidence, thanks.

Of the 3 I think I definitely want the maxtor, unless someone has other ideas, suggestions..?

40 GB Maxtor Diamond Max Plus Ultra-133 7200RPM 2048k 8.5ms OEM $149.99

40 GB Seagate Barracuda IV Ultra-100 7200RPM 2048k 9ms OEM $149.99

40 GB Western Digital Caviar Ultra-100 7200RPM 2048k 8.9ms OEM $149.99

Seagate seems to be complained about the least of those three. I like Maxtor too, but I've RMA'd 3 drives in recent history. Never seen a bad WD, and I've seen quite a few. I've only run into one Seagate, and that 150MB (yup) is still workin' in some kid's PC last I knew, and it was old when I got it

Thanks a great deal for so much response guys,

The fact is WinNT is installed on a smaller SCSI HD, partition and this would be as a second HD,

thanks again and all the best to You.