Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

error after intalling new graphics card

As the start of an attempt to get WinXP on my older system (currently Win95) I knew I'd have to lose the old Voodoo3 card. Mobo has no AGP port, so I got a VisionTek GeForce4 MX 420 PCI card and popped it in. (yes, I know about the GF4MX, but hey, name a better PCI video card wink )

Prior to doing so, I went through and cleaned out all of the 3dfx, voodoo, and glide listings in the registry, and deleted similar files.

Anyway, after signing in, an error pops up after a few seconds, and says:

"The nwiz.exe file is linked to missing export USER32.DLL: EnumDisplayMonitors."

Well, I read that 'EnumDisplayMonitors' is something in 98 and ME, but not 95. So is this a problem not to worry about? If so, how do I stop the darn error?

Also, I haven't updated to DX8.0a (currenty DX7). If the error is caused by something I did with the registry, I don't want to upgrade to DX8, because it'll change the registry enough that I couldn't go back to the exported registry file I saved before the registry edit.

Anyone have any ideas?

First mistake, you don't alter registry settings when changing graphics cards, there is no point, they are irrelevent if the graphics card doesnt exist.

To fix the problem, I would be taking a punt, but here we go.

Put the old graphics card back in, reinstall all the drivers, this should replace the links in the registry you've foobah'd, once its all installed and working, turn off the pc, put the new graphics card in, install the drivers for it.

That should be it.

- Daniel

I don't think I messed up the registry... Being as I reformatted and reinstalled windows, and the error still persists. From what I've read about EnumDisplayMonitors, it's only in Win98 on, so I think it's just the nVidia application asking for something that win95 can't give it, hence the error.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

When changing video cards in a 9x environment, I have always first changed the driver from whatever it was to standard VGA driver, shutdown, physically removed the old card and installed the new, booted up and then changed the driver from standard VGA to the new driver and reboot one more time.

Well, I returned the GF4MX, and got an Asus A7N266-C / Duron 1.0GHz / GeForce2 GTS-V...

(problem solved wink )