Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wileyc1967

Installing applications into multiple profiles on NT 4 or W2

I have been installing a lot of apps in a mixed NT4 and W2k environment. The problem is that some of these applicaitons require administrator access, and even when I give the user local admin rights, the apps still won't install. So I use my admin account to install them, but now they are not visible from the user's profile. How can I install an application so that it is visible from ALL profiles present on the machine??? PLEASE HELP. The work-around for this that I have been using is very time consuming!

Thanks,

Scott

Redi-Cut Foods

Have you tried just copying the program shortcuts into the All Users profile?

The shortcuts should then show up regardless of who logs into the machine.

Quote:

Have you tried just copying the program shortcuts into the All Users profile?

The shortcuts should then show up regardless of who logs into the machine.

Remembering to make sure that permissions on the files are set so that other users can read them!

Rgds
AndyF

Quote:

Remembering to make sure that permissions on the files are set so that other users can read them!

Never had a problem with that myself, and if his users have local admin rights, it should work just fine.

I have given users local admin rights, but they still can't see software installed by the domain admin. This is driving me nuts.

What do you mean by can't see?

This might be what is happening:

If you look under (on NT C:\winnt\profiles\all users\start menu\programs\) (or on win2k C:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\), do the shortcuts in question to the programs in question lie here or under the administrators profile, in its start menu?

If the shortcuts are not under the all users profile, then they need to be copied there. They will then be "seen" under any users profile who logs on.

Hope it helps.