Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NutFlush

Default network protocol in XP

I have a client that uses a software package which requires NetBEUI to be the default protocol. Installing NetBEUI was no problem, but in XP there no longer exists an option for setting a network protocol as the default. (He previously used a variety of 9x os's which had this option.)

I called the software company's tech support and they know the work-around to make it work, but they won't tell me how to do it until my client forks up $200.

Anybody out there have any ideas? (Besides telling the client to change software packages - he won't.)

Thanks,

Steve

Clutch - thanks for the reply. I probably shouldn't have mentioned NetBEUI, as I don't think it's a problem with that protocol specifically. I have NetBEUI installed and it is functional.

The problem is that the software in question requires the protocol to be set as the "default" protocol (an option in 9x/ME that is missing in XP)

Thanks again for any ideas,

Steve

If you go to your network properties (where you see your network adapters listed), select Advanced and then Advanced Settings. You can then adjust the binding order of the protocols. See if that works out for you.

Thanks, I moved Netbeui to the top of the binding order and that didn't help. I'm not sure what setting a protocol as the "default" protocol actually did in 9x/ME - if I knew that it might help figure out a workaround. I haven't found any info in MS knowledgebase.

I don't have anything else to offer at the moment, and I can barely remember anything in 9x anymore wink. Maybe somebody else has a good idea for you.

goto network connections in the cnotrol panel

then in the advanced menu

choose bindings tab and select the connection

then set netbeui has the first position in both settings

then uncheck the tcp/ip binding