Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

Problems w/ ZoneAlarm & 2-PC LAN

Have been running a 2 PC LAN thru a LinkSys Cable Router for about 6 months. More or less, everything seems stable. Would however like to reinstall the free download of ZoneAlarm on both PCs. Ran it independently on both systems before setting up the network; great program.

Any ideas how I go about doing this? I have been unsuccessful getting any response from ZoneAlarm or LinkSys on how to set the whole thing up so the two PCs can share data, but the doors are locked to outside probes via the cable internet connection.

Based on other references to ZA and LinkSys I have found on NTC, doesn't seem like what I'm trying to do is that out of the ordinary or difficult.

Any help appreciated...........SnapperOne (aka Steven)

I was just playing around with ZA Pro 3.0 last night, and it's rather easy to implement into the network. You'll just have to add the IP's to the trusted zone in ZA, or if you're using DHCP, you'll have to add the network address and subnet to ZA. After that, you'll probably get a few pop-ups from ZA asking you questions, but nothing difficult. Just don't be afraid to fool around with the settings in ZA....ZA uninstalls/reinstalls rather easily and it won't mess up any network protocols like another top-name firewall has been known to do smile.

I'll put it too you this way: I'm ususally on the edge of my seat with every mouse click 8) cause I don't know sh*t about this stuff, but I got it working with no major problems at all....And our network here has 2 Windows2K servers, 4 XP workstations, DCHP, DNS, IIS, WINS, Terminal Services, blah blah blah....So it's surely gonna be easy for you to connect up 2 workstations without problems.

IMO, ZA is much easier than Norton's Personal Firewall 2002, which I also installed last night. Though I uninstalled it shortly after installing it due to its horrible setup for determining which of your .exe's can access the internet/network. Norton seems to do it's job just fine, but is quite confusing, and extremely time consuming compared to ZA.

Also, if you're running XP, be sure to turn off XP's internal firewall...I have had numerous problems already trying to get the two firewalls to play together nicely. If you can figure it out, let me know smile

Good luck... smile

Klark......

Edge-of-my-seat is an understatement. Since my wife uses both PCs for her business, while I'm reasonably fearless with working withing the "electrical confines" of either PC, whenever one or both hiccups, I'm close to falling off the edge of the seat. Take me back to the hated days of DOS, no problem. DCHP, POP3, etc........my eyes begin to glaze. Oh well, how bad can it be; I sleep in the basement for a few days.

Thanks for the info............SnapperOne (aka Steven)

Klark......

Edge-of-my-seat is an understatement. Since my wife uses both PCs for her business, while I'm reasonably fearless working within the "electrical confines" of "a" PC, whenever one or both hiccup I'm close to falling off the edge of the seat. Take me back to the hated days of DOS, no problem. DCHP, POP3, etc........my eyes begin to glaze. Oh well, how bad can it be; I sleep in the basement for a few days.

Thanks for the info............SnapperOne (aka Steven)

I know what ya mean. My girl is constantly asking to do her Excel and Power Point homework on my personal machine. I simply 'try' to ask her "Are you out of your friggin' mind?!!" But she usually replies with "Your computer is so much faster than that other POS in the corner, so it takes twice as long to do my homework !!" She once asked to do her homework on my 2k Advancer Server...Can you believe the nerve?!! smile I could only imagine how that would turn out: ""My Excel homework locked up, so I just flipped the power button, and when it came back on, there's a big blue screen with a bunch of white words at the top!!" 8) 8) 8)

It's not easy telling your girl that her computer is the dusty, slow-a*s PII450 in the corner:D

Klark........

Problem is both PCs are my wife's business machines. Not the fastest machines in the world (PIII 533 w/256K RDram and a PIII 667 w/128K RDram), but they are both faster than mine ( - O - ). Soooooooo, I can't really tell her to stay away from them.

SnapperOne (aka Steven)