Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GTwannabe

Lost my CD-ROM drives in My Computer!

My hard drive is having issues; Direct CD stopped loading on startup. Tried patching to v5.1, but that didn't help. Uninstalled Roxio, and on reboot, I couldn't access either of my CD drives. They don't even show up in My Computer.

I have exclamation marks next to the drives in the device manager. Tried reinstalling the drivers normally and in safe mode; no luck. Any idea how to get them back?

There are two solutions I think may work.

1. Download and install the ASPI drivers found here.

2. Download and install Clone CD found here.

Clone CD has a utility that checks the registry to make sure CD drive related entries are correct. It does this when you boot up your computer. It will fix your problem, which was caused by Roxio. I had the same exact problem before, and this is what fixed it.

Let me know if this helps at all!

Ok, sounds good. I'll try that as soon as I write my 3 papers that are due monday.

I sorta got off easy... when I uninstalled it from my dad's machine, it blue screen o' deathed his copy of 2000 on the following bootup.

What do you recommend instead of Roxio? I tried Ahead InCD, but that only works w/ CD-RW's, and doesn't let me eject my old directCD discs.

I use Nero mostly, but I never use packet writing. I just don't have a need to.

Here's some software that has packet writing. I haven't tried it, so I don't know how good or bad it is. I suggest you get the free trial version and see what works for you.

This one says it uses the native Win2k/XP drivers, avoiding crashes.

NTI CD-Maker 2000 Pro