Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dregen

Serious problem join nt4 to domain

Hello! Big problem!! When i upgrade a Nt4 domain to W2k and join from an Nt4 user it is no problem. But when i start a new domain (dcpromo) from a clean disk and try to join from the same nt4 it fails. If a set the user to local admin or domain admin i can join, no problem with ether w2k or xp to join. Is it something that "updates" in the nt4 domain when i update to 2000, or what? Lot´s of answer please smile Roger

I think we solved this problem.

Here's how we did it:

1) Removed the NT4 Workstation from the old (NT4) domain.

2) Changed the LMHOSTS-file with the following info:

(ip-address for the PDCE-Master in the new w2k domain) + (netbios-name for the same server) + #PRE + #DOM: (netbios-name for the w2k domain)

3) Added the NT4 Workstation to the w2k domain using a domain admin account (since we're running our domain in mixed-mode we had to use the netbios-name for the w2k domain).

4) Logged on locally to the NT4 Workstation (with a local admin account, can be done from the server too) and added the group Domain Users (from the new w2k domain) with change-rights to the \WINNT folder (including sub-dirs, just to make sure we can log-on, this is changed afterwards for example on the System and System32 folders).

When all this is done you can, on the NT4 Workstation, log on to the w2k domain with a standard user (with only Domain User rights).

The only problem after this is to wipe out all the unknown accounts from all folders on the NT4 Workstation and replace them with the corresponding accounts from the new w2k domain (for example the Domain Users group).

So if anyone knows of a tool that can do this automatically then please let me know :-)

That is rather odd. You shouldn't have to go through anywhere near the amount of work that you did to join the Win2K domain. What name resolution scheme are you using? If you are using Mixed-Mode AD, then you should have at least DNS setup, but do you have a WINS box setup as well? The LMHOSTS file isn't particularly elegant, and everything would normally work if your workstation has a source to resolve the domain's DCs from.