Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Klark

Can't see my own domain from inside...???

Ok, probably an easy fix to this, but I sure as hell don't know what it is.

My local domain is lotl.lan. All of my clients log-in to lotl.lan, or the Netbios name of LOTL. Also, I'm hosting www.lotl.cc with IIS from here, on a second server here within our lan. The primary server is the PDC for lotl.lan....and the second server is our backup DHCP server for lotl.lan, and the webserver for www.lotl.cc.

The problem is: No one logged into lotl.lan can see www.lotl.cc, they all come back with 'page cannot be displayed'. But everyone outside of our internal lotl.lan can see the site just fine. Click here to see my current ipconfig /all. The Default Gateway setting that you see in the pic is the IP of my router. 192.168.X.10 is the PDC for lotl.lan.

Please help!! I'd like to get working on the site, but it's kinda hard when I can't get there to test it.

ThanX in advance...

Klark smile

Ok...after staying up all night, I realized that I'm a total idiot. I forgot to add the name servers! ;(

Clutch, take a look at this pic, and tell me what ya think. How I noticed it was by opening up one of the cached zones, and then seeing what they had. Actually, the cached zone I was looking at was iisanswers.com, and I set it up very similar to that. So do I have it set up the proper way?...or half-a*sed?

Also, do I really need the SOA record?...cuz shella is not the actual server for this website, its actually my second server, Dualy, which is the 192.168.0.73.

Also, I'm totally unclear as to whether or not I need Dynamic Updates?? I set it to yes, cause thats how you had me set up the lotl.lan zone.

Am I gettin' there? ..or still a total dumbsh*t? :P

Why in the world are you hosting 2 domains internally anyway? What, *just* learning split-brain DNS wasn't enough for you? laugh

The only reason Im hosting two domains is when we originally set up my network, I didn't own the lotl.cc domain name, and I was sure whether or not I would even be able to use an actual internet name. Besides, Like I really knew any better...

I wish there was a way to totally get rid of the lotl.lan domain, but this machine is the PDC, so I can't change anythingconfused without reformatting the server....I thinkconfused

So...Is what I'm doing like a big major problem? And also, I haven't even started with the split-brain project....So I'm sure I'll have a smashin' good time with that.

By the way, I found a great article on Split-Brain DNS here. It explains the process in great detail, while making it simple to understand....Which is great for someone like myself, who has absolutely no idea what the hell they're doing...

I really hope I have my internal DNS server setup correctly, cuz do to my usual bad luck, I'm probably totally screwing up every DNS server in the world 8). Either that, or I'm directing tons of traffic to my internal DNS server because I have one simple IP or DNS record set wrong...

Klark,

My domain controller is "htsource.com" as well as my site hosting by IIS on a different server but the same network. Now, if I'm inside the home network and I type "www.htsource.com", I get page not found. If I type in the same URL but from outside the home network, everything works fine. I have frame-forwarding setup with BuyDomains so it goes to my IP address automatically. Do I actually need that if I have my own DNS server?

Anyway, I'm a newbie when it comes to DNS setup, Names Server, etc. Here's some details about my DNS setup in Domain Controller:

Forward Lookup Zones - htsource.com

Name: (same as parent folder)

Type: Host

Data: 192.168.1.103

Type: Start of Authority

Data: [82], pic_frame.htsource.com.

Type: Name Server

Data: pic_frame.htsource.com.

The server name is "pic_frame" for the Domain Controller and the IIS server is "web_server".

Your help is much appreciated.

He's fine; he had both domains performing reverse WINS lookups on the same server, and it was trashing his ability to browse (weird, I know). He's all set now.